Chapter 23

Whatever Raj had started to tell me, I will never know. I remember trying to answer, but I had been exhausted and on pain medication. He had locked the door like I had asked, but there was no note, no text and I left it alone. Truthfully, I would be crushed if I texted and he didn't respond. He's with another doctor who makes him happy. I know enough to know when I'm competing in the wrong competition. And, I remind myself I didn't know him that long. There must be other Raj's out there, even b-grade versions named Raj.

I took the week off work. I am fully aware that Cami most likely having a meltdown, but Julia is covering for me and tonight is the Downtown Bowl Women's finals. My refrigerator is stocked with meals (thank you very much Mams) and they're going to be here soon.

I am getting ready to go to the finals. Unlike the semi-finals, Paul moved the tournament to the evening. He's treating this like an MMA fighting showdown, even though it's between women ages 30-40 who will go home and defrost ground beef for later in the week.

"Ow." I shake out my hand, burning it from the flat iron. I underestimated how difficult having limited mobility would be. My makeup is on, the full works, even a touch of blush for color in my cheeks and I step away from the mirror.

With the Maroon Vehicle of Wonder on the way, I grab my handbag and head outside to wait on my front steps.

I open my door to find someone unexpectedly standing there.

Tara.

Tara Greyson with a new MUFFs t-shirt. All white with red lettering. Her hand raised like she was about to knock. Her eyes go to the sling. "I know you don't want to see me."

"What do you want?" I'm not kind. We have nothing to say to one another.

"I just wanted to say—thank you, for protecting Willow. Because of you, she was spared a horrible injury."

"I would have done that for any of my students." I would have.

She's not finished. "I owe you an apology for so much more." She glances at Nate's house. "What I posted about you wasn't okay." She takes a second to collect her breath, her blue eyes don't have a fight in them. "I took the post down and wrote you an apology, but you've been offline." The damage is done, but I leave that part out. "You were right about what happened with my husband. I couldn't accept that he was seeing other women. I'm still struggling with that. It was embarrassing and everyone at the hospital knew, but Lauren and I are meeting this week. Her sister is owed money, but the rumors aren't true. I don't have millions of dollars. My husband left me a financial mess I'm still sorting through it all."

"I think that's commendable though." I'm cautious with my words.

"The MUFFs and I look up to you guys. You're so close. You have everything figured out. And you can still pass for a 37 year old. Here, I brought you this. It's a thank you." She reaches into her bag and hands me a small box. "How's the arm?"

"Better every day." I take the box.

"Okay, well, I'll see you soon. You guys deserve to be in the finals." She smiles full of confidence, but it's in good sportsmanship. "We'll still beat you."

"We'll put up a fight." She walks away and I stare at the box from a local jewelry shop. It takes me a few seconds of fumbling to open it. Inside, is a thin silver heart necklace with the words Mams in the center.

I would love to put it on, but I can't with my bum shoulder. Still, it's pretty, and it was kind.

BUT. Onwards and upwards.

A horn honks and I look up to see Tamara waving from the front seat. "Get in!"

Smiling, I lock my door and go over to the van. The door slides open and just Lisa is in the back.