Chapter 3

I don't own any of these characters or whatever

All characters are based on the Avatar: The Last Airbender nickelodeon series

________________________________________________________________________________

Pov : Mai

2 weeks later

From the moment Zuko had left every day that passed made me feel a little more depressed, compliant almost. I had no more drive to fight back my mothers constant berating, or to defend myself from Azula's incessant humiliation. All I could do to make everything seem a little less bleak was train; throwing knives, hand to hand, stealth. It took my mind away from my heartbreak and forced me to focus on all the tiny details I'd have never noticed before.

"Mai! What could you possibly be thinking about?!" Azula yells

Schooling my face I bring my attention back to what's around me. I'm at the royal palace for a sleepover with Azula and Ty lee. Coming up with the best excuse possible I respond

"Nothing, it's just my parents have been acting even more crazy lately. I think they're worried that I might do something crazy, they won't leave me alone."

"Well off course they'd be concerned when you're acting even more depressed and stand-offish than you normally do. They're probably thinking you might try and defend Zuko to the Fire Lord and that just won't do if your parents want to remain in the royal court. I say just forget about Zuko entirely and start acting like how you used to." Azula replied

"It's okay Mai, they're just looking out for you. Your aura has been looking really dark lately, maybe we just need to do something exciting to cheer you up!" Ty lee suggested

"It's okay Ty lee I'll get over it, it's not that important anyway. I'm not going to do anything, Zuko's gone and there's nothing I can do about it anyway so why dwell on it" I say trying to brush the whole thing off.

"Ugh... Just get over it quickly I don't want to deal with an extra moody Mai" Azula says while Ty lee gives my hand a squeeze to show her support.

The rest of the night is spent giggling and chatting while Azula shows off and Ty lee praises her with me giving a few acceptable comments here and there to seem part of the conversation.

>>>>>>>>>

The next day I'm being ridden back home in a carriage on the way there I start thinking about Zuko. Is he okay? Was he assassinated? Why hasn't he written to me yet? Where is he? These thoughts travel with me all the way to my room. I ask for someone to be brought in to help me unpack and who should walk in but Aimashi.

"Lady Mai I have good news and bad news for you." he says

I hold my breath not knowing how to respond so choose the most honest reply I can give

"Oh?"

"Yes I have received a letter from Zuko but I have left it at my home thinking you wouldn't be back until tomorrow"

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding

"That's no problem Aimashi, I've waited 2 weeks for a letter what's one more day" I reply relieved it wasn't a serious problem

"Of course Lady Mai, I'll have the letter to you by sunrise. A great way to start the day I'd presume?"

"That depends entirely on what he writes to me"

"I suppose so Lady Mai" he responds just as he finishes putting away my belongings

>>>>>>>>>

The next day I'm woken up earlier than usual by one of the house staff so I begin preparing myself for school when I see a letter on my vanity. A book looks like a better way to describe it, it's thick and looks like someone poured their heart and soul into it. I think I know why I was woken up early. Opening the letter the first page reads

Dear Firelily,

Words cannot describe how much my heart aches, being a firebender I thought the fire was my friend but now the heat feels like it's burning me from the inside out. I can't bear the thought of going on this journey without you. However, in order to be together again I won't stop searching on this impossible mission until I've succeeded. Everyday and everynight I can't stop thinking about you. The possibility of coming back to the Fire Nation, back to you the only person who's ever made me feel so vulnerable and cared for, is the only thing keeping me going.

Sometimes this all seems so bleak, I've now been doomed to search the world endlessly without a clue where to look for one person. It seems all but impossible. I know that's why my father did this, I know he doesn't think anything of me, that I'm weak, but I need to prove to him that I'm not. I need to prove to the whole of the Fire Nation that I can and will be a worthy prince and future Fire Lord. I know that one day I'll be Fire Lord and when I am the first thing I'll do is make you Fire Lady.

I've been training with the dao swords you've given me. They're beautiful, two halves of one whole. So far I've been teaching myself but some of the crew members and uncle Iroh have given me some tips. Uncle even said he knows a master swordsman who might be willing to come on the ship to train me for a few days. I'm even trying to incorporate it with my firebending but it's getting harder and harder to control my fire. Uncle says it's because I'm still angry, that I need to properly deal with my emotions and then let go of my anger to move further with my bending. I've had a lot of time to practice though, we've already been to the western air temple, next is the eastern one, then north, then south. Once we've found some clues we'll look for rumours and such, mostly earth kingdom cities. We might stop by at the southern water tribe after the southern air temple though. The western air temple was crazy! All the buildings were upside down and there were so many statues it looked like a museum.

Writing this to you now I can't help but wonder what you're doing, how's your knife throwing? How's your mother acting? What new and profound torture has Azula been subjecting you too? I want to hear from you, I want to hear that everything is okay and that your life is going perfect but I know that doesn't happen.

The miles are long and far and wide,

But my love for you will never subside.

My heart will continue strong and true,

Steadfast in my love for you.

You never need to fret or fear;

My only love is for you my dear.

It hurts to be so far from you,

But a love like ours will make it through.

Keep holding on a little longer;

Our love will keep on growing stronger.

Love

~ Zuko

Reading the letter I feel a roller coaster of emotions, he's safe, he's getting better, he's alive. He has a lot of feelings and he can't let go, he can't deal with them, but he's got Iroh by his side and based on what he's written his uncle seems to really care about him. Attached to the letter are pages and pages of poems, some about me and some about his family, all of them express him. His fragility and his perseverance, his fear and his courage, his ruthlessness and his integrity. Everything I love about him.

________________________________________________________________________________

vote - comment - share