Prologue

Late at night, Skylar sat in the back of his favorite coffee shop, that was not too far from the apartment he shared with his boyfriend of five years, Ryan. They had been together since their third year of high school. As Skylar drank his coffee, he thought about the first few years they had been together. Their first two years were just that of school boys. So happy and in love. Once they got into University, Ryan talked Skylar into moving in with him. Ryan had chosen Sports Related Programs, as he wanted to be an Athletic Trainer. Skylar ended up becoming a History Major.

Things were good, up till a year ago. Ryan forced Skylar to cut all ties with his family. He was given a set time to be home. He was forced to do everything Ryan told him to do. Then six months ago, Ryan started to go out and drink more, causing him to be very abusive to Skylar and even cheat on him. Some nights, Skylar would lay in their bed alone, listening to Ryan with whomever he had over that night.

Skylar sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned back in his chair. For the last month he had thought of nothing more than about leaving Ryan and heading back home. Letting out a heavy sign, Skylar opened his eyes and looked at the door, then at his phone. It was four in the morning and he knew by now, Ryan and whoever he had brought back would be asleep. Not wanting to go back, Skylar got up and started to head out of the shop, only to bump head first into someone.

''I'm sorry'' Skylar said softly, not even bothering to look up.

The person took a step to the side allowing enough room for Skylar to leave out the door. Skylar gave a gentle nod as he left and started to walk away. Just as he was a few feet away from the shop, he felt his arm get tugged back. Stopping and turning around, Skylar found a man about a foot or more taller than him. He was not only tall, but he was very well built. His height and size was way bigger than Ryan's. The man's hair was slicked back in the middle with the sides shaved. He was dressed in an all black suit with a long black coat hanging off his shoulders.

The man tilted his head to the side, as he reached up with his free hand, placing it against Skylar's cheek near his left eye ''What happened here'' a deep husky voice came out of the tall man's mouth ''Did someone bully you?''

Snapping back to what was going on, Skylar blinked a few times ''No'' he said softly ''No one bullied me.''

''Well, you didn't get this from a door nor a corner'' the man spoke again gently rubbing his thumb over his eye, only to feel him flinch a bit ''And it is fresh as well. So tell me, who did this to you.''

''My boyfriend'' Skylar spoke again as he hung his head. He didn't understand why he felt the need to tell this stranger what happened.

The man raised a brow as he softly pulled Skylar closer to him ''It's truly sad to see someone lay their hands on the person they love this way'' he leaned in close gently placing his lips against Skylar's eye ''One should never do such a thing. You are worth so much more than that.''

Skylar was completely frozen as he stood there, not fully understanding what was happening or why. The man finally pulled away and gave him a gentle smile. As he took a step back, he let go of Skylar's arm and took his hand away from his face. The male gave him one final smile, before he and the person next to him turned and walked back inside. Once they were out of sight, Skylar also turned and started to walk off. Shaking what just happened from his mind, Skylar spent the rest of the morning walking around.

It wasn't till it was about eight when Skylar finally reached the building his and Ryan's apartment was in. As he was walking up the stairs, a girl came running down, shoes in hand, hair and clothes a mess. Skylar let out a deep sigh as the girl ran past him and out the door. Shaking his head, he finally reached his door and placed his key in then turned the knob. The moment he opened the door he found Ryan standing in the kitchen, shirtless and drinking a glass of water.

''Where have you been'' Ryan said in a deep husky morning voice.

Skylar sighed tossing his keys on the table ''Out.''

Ryan turned and glared over at him ''Out where'' he asked.

''Out'' Skylar shrugged.

Ryan shook his head as he walked off into their bedroom and got dressed ''I don't have time for this'' he said walking out of the room ''I have to head to class. When I get home, we will talk about this.''

Skylar bit his lip for a moment as he rubbed his palms together ''I won't be here'' he finally spoke up as he looked at Ryan who was putting his shoes on.

Ryan frowned his brows a he looked up at him ''What does that mean?''

''It means that I won't be here when you get home'' Skylar crossed his arms ''I'm leaving you. I'm leaving school and I'm going back home.''

''What'' Ryan asked as he stood and started to walk towards him.

Skylar stood his ground this time as he looked up at Ryan ''I said I'm leaving you. I'm breaking up with you. I'm done and I'm going home.''

Ryan let out a heavy sigh ''We will talk more when I get home'' he said softly ''Till then, just stay here and wait for me. Ok?''

''No'' Skylar shook his head ''I won't be here.''

Ryan took hold of his hands as he stepped closer ''I know things haven't been the same, but please. Just wait till I get home so we can talk things out.'' He reached up gently, placing a hand against Skylar's cheek.

He leaned over and placed a soft kiss on Skylar's bruised eye and gave him a soft smile that he had not seen in a long time. After Ryan finally left, Skylar walked into their room going over to the closet and pulled out both of his duffle bags. He was still going to leave and he wasn't going to let Ryan try to stop him. He quickly packed both bags with his clothes, shoes, toiletries and anything else he thought he needed to take. Once his things were packed and placed next to the door, Skylar sat down at the table and wrote out a long note for Ryan. He folded it up then placed both his house and mailbox keys on top of it. He pulled out his phone and also placed it on the table next to the note.

Skylar picked up his bags and headed out the door locking and closing it behind him. He headed for the train station and bought a ticket. He was finally heading home after so long. He smiled as he stood there waiting for the train. It had been a year since he last talked to either parent and it had been longer since he last saw them. Now he was finally going home. A place where he knew he felt safe. After about an hour, the train finally pulled in. Skylar got on and sat down looking out the window with a big smile on his face.