Chapter 4: A Rush of Blood to the Head

Draco didn't say a word to her as they walked toward the school lake through the October drizzle. (A/N: I can hear you all going oh!) He just watched his feet as they slopped through the mud. The moisture didn't bother him, so he remained silent. Hermione didn't say anything either, as she was just trying to remember where the dock was...

When she found the old wooden dock hidden in a cluster of trees a little ways away from Hagrid's hut, she immediately began to rattle off spells to dry off the dinky little rowboat tied to the end of it. She made it stronger and dried it off. Draco just watched in silence as per usual, wondering how she knew about this place. Only he knew about this place, even in his dreams there was never anyone else. Except for the previous night, he reminded himself. She'd been there with him.

"Come on," she gently urged him, and he grudgingly sat down at the bench spread across the vessel. Hermione sat down on the back edge, pulling out her wand to power the hull into the middle of the lake. Draco tilted up his head so the raindrops splashed onto his face. The drops made little plips as they hit the surface of the water. Hermione watched him. With each little droplet that hit his head, his blond hair became more and more like silver. He looked like a black and white photograph, and the rain made time slow down, as if she was watching a grainy video. It made the situation seem surreal, which it totally was. She was holding hands with Malfoy, whose tears were mingling with the rain sliding down his nose. Her wand served as a motor, driving them out into the black lake, away from the school. He needed distance first.

"I haven't come out here for years," he finally said, just staring out over the water. She didn't respond; if he would talk then she would listen. He sighed and bent over, dipping his hand into the water. "I haven't had time since first year." She could relate, he knew she could. He didn't need to be her best friend to notice how frazzled she had been during their third year. He'd never gotten a chance to ask why.

"Same here," she responded, blinking away the rain from her eyelashes. "Time just flies by." He nodded, as she pulled her wand away to slide it back in her pocket. They drifted before coming to a stop. She pulled her bag into her lap and sorted through it with her free hand. When her hand emerged, she held a small rectangular white cube, with a strand of plastic that had a little plastic bubble looking circles on the end. (A/N: Hm, what could that be?) Draco stared at it curiously, but had no snarky comment to offer, as she pushed a couple buttons and the screen lit up. She mumbled a few charms, somehow inserted the white cord into the strange device, and ran her finger over the click wheel. "I don't know if you'll like this, but it always makes me feel better when I'm upset." He didn't respond, so she gave him a final look before pushing the play button on her iPod, and felt her tense shoulders relax as the first line of "A Rush Of Blood To The Head," by Coldplay burst from her speakers.

You said I'm gonna buy this place and burn it down, I'm gonna put it six feet underground. You said I'm gonna buy this place and watch it fall. Stand here beside me baby in the crumbling walls.

Draco watched as she quietly sung along, closing her eyes. It was making him feel better. Not the music, but just being there with her.

Oh, I'm gonna buy this place and start a fire. Stand here until I fill all your hearts desires.

He found he couldn't look away as she sung, her wavy and now damp hair swinging into her face. She was oddly fascinating, unlike any other girl, that was for sure. Why was it so hard to pull his eyes away all of a sudden?

Because I'm gonna buy this place and see it burn. And do back the things it did to you In return.

It wasn't as if she was stunningly beautiful, with plain brown eyes and hair. Her features weren't ugly, just... standard. But he couldn't think of a time he'd been this star struck. He couldn't stop watching her.