Chapter 8: Terrible Honesty

The Slytherin table hadn't known what to think when Hermione sat down on the bench next Draco. So since they saw no other option, they ignored her, which suited her fine. Pansy had been most disappointed when he didn't allow her to sit in his lap during lunch, and instead had settled in across from them, glaring at Hermione as she held Draco's hand, (since it would be rude to take off their shoes at the table). When anybody made any snarky comments about the attraction Draco sent him or her a look that would have made even the late Voldemort cringe, before turning back to his meal. Hermione picked at her food just as she had at breakfast.

"You need to eat, Granger," Draco ordered her, his voice low so only the girl next to him could hear.

"I'm not hungry," she answered curtly, poking her chicken with her fork.

"Force down something so we can get out of here." She made no move to do so, so he scowled and stood up. They didn't mumble any goodbyes to the Slytherins as they took their leave, and Hermione ignored the Gryffindor table as they passed it. She was a little annoyed with the whole group; Ron could have easily saved her from Draco that first day in Charms class by saving her a seat. But then again, a little seed had been planted in her mind that maybe she wouldn't be better off with them.

The rest of the day passed without incident. They finished their homework together, with Draco sneaking glances at her and Hermione pretending not to notice. As was starting to be pattern, they had dinner in their common room, or at least she did. She continued to pick away at her meal. It did not go unnoticed, but he chose not to say anything. After living his life with his mother and father he knew that harping on her behavior would only upset her and drive her farther away, something he didn't want to do. However, he yearned to help her, force her out of her act of the perfect girl. She had put her mask back up, pretending nothing had happened.

They both remained without comment as they changed into pajamas and Draco didn't protest as he slid once again into her bed. Neither went to sleep as they lay on opposite sides of the mattress. He closed his eyes, but could only wonder what would happen on Monday, when they were forced to work in class. Potions shouldn't be that much of a problem, since Slughorn loved both of them and would be thrilled, and most of their teachers wouldn't give them trouble. Their so-called friends were what caused him to worry. Hermione was so fragile as she softly rested her cheek on the pillow, eyes shut, and Potter and Weasely would try and force her to sit with them, just to piss him off. They didn't really care. And what of the Slytherins? Draco was their leader, they would flock to him.

And yet why did he care? Because he did care about Hermione. It was fact now. She was all he could think about, everything else faded away. EH wanted to kiss her, to hold her, to have her look at him as if her was the only thing in the world. He much more than fancied her now. Do I love Granger? He asked himself. He didn't know. See, this is where he needed his godfather Snape; he always knew these things about girls.

"Mya?" he asked softly about 10 minutes after they had shut out the lights. She didn't open her eyes, just mumbled,

"What?" Taking a deep breath, he asked,

"What did it feel like when you realized you loved... well, him?" Her eyes flew open in surprise. She raised her eyebrows.

"Are you joking? Why do you want to know?" Ah yes, there it was. The dreaded question.

"No I'm not joking. Just tell me." She sighed and searched his face for any sense of humor. His face was deadly serious.

"I can't believe I'm talking to Draco Malfoy about love," she whispered to herself, closing her eyes.

"Why is that so hard to believe? Just tell me!"

"Alright fine." He watched as she took her free hand and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "Don't laugh."