Chapter 7: Your Eyes Turn Elsewhere

heir meal at Gryffindor table that morning went much like it had the previous day, with Ron scowling at them and Harry and Ginny struggling to create some kind of conversation. Draco stayed quiet, as did Hermione, their only words being "Pass the milk," and a curt hello and goodbye. When he was done forcing down a meal and quietly urging her to do the same, they bid a mumbled goodbye, not noticing Ginny's searching look. Once they had left, Draco asked what Hermione wanted to do. She shrugged, wandering aimlessly down the hallway at his side.

"Ok, let me ask again. What did you always want to do but couldn't because Potty and Weasel wouldn't let you?" She opened her mouth but he interrupted. "And don't say living in the library or that weird house elf thing." She thought long and hard, passing over all wants or ideas she'd had.

"Nothing really. I just went with the flow," she mumbled finally, realizing at long last she had been following Ron around like a puppy dog for the past two years. I had my reasons. Draco, sensing that this was not a time to mock her, quickly moved his arm around her shoulder, still walking down the hallway in without a particular direction.

"There must be something. Did you ever want to skinny dip in the lake or..." he waved his other hand vaguely as she raised her eyebrows. "Or try and hold a séance for Peeves of something?"

"Well I suppose there is one thing, but it's really random," she said, struck with a brain wave.

"The more random, the more fun," he responded, giving her a wink. She ignored it.

"You've been warned. I've always kind of wanted to fix up the shrieking shack," she told him, watching as he smiled disbelievingly.

"Nice joke Granger. But seriously." They turned a corner, still wandering aimlessly, to see a small group of Ravenclaw fourth years huddled together. He quickly moved his arm off her shoulder and grabbed her hand, doing his best to look inconspicuous. She sighed, and the group of girls looked up. The giggled as he passed, one even going so far as to wave to Draco. Ever the charmer, he winked back, causing the girl to swoon and lose her balance, leaning against the wall. Used to this behavior but not liking it all, Hermione growled lightly and pulled him down the corridor and into an alcove. "What?" he asked, looking down at her. She cursed his height.

"First of all, stop flirting with everyone with legs, it's really irritating," she hissed, narrowing her eyes at him. He began to smirk yet again.

"You jealous, Granger?"

"Don't flatter yourself, Malfoy. We both know my eyes turn elsewhere," she fired back, not realizing it did more damage to him than intended. He scowled at her as if she were a bad potions grade.

"Oh really?" he cooed, wondering where the limit lay. Draco took a risk and tugged his hand from hers, moving to place his palms pressed against the wall on either side of her head. She stared defiantly up at him, as the attraction pulled his body against hers. Slowly he bent forward and leant his forehead against hers.

"Yes really," she answered curtly against his lips, knowing what was coming, and that it would be useful to push him away. When a Malfoy wants something, he doesn't stop till he gets it.

"Well, I highly doubt that," he whispered, before once again kissing her gently. Yet again, she didn't pull away.

He had missed this, and it hadn't come off his mind since yesterday. She was an amazing kisser, but this kiss was better than the first one. There was emotion, a crush on his part and a desire for more, with loneliness and pure attraction from Hermione. Draco leaned closer into her, moving one hand behind her head so it didn't hit the wall, while the other stayed pressed against the stone, supporting his weight to prevent him from smushing her. Hers wound around his neck as her eyes stayed firmly shut, causing her to miss the look of pure desire flaming in his own slate pupils. They both forgot they were in public, though no one was around, and continued on as they would if they were in their rooms, with Hermione wrapping her legs around his waist, without realizing she was doing it. The only thing preventing her from falling to the stone floor was his gentle push against her.