Prologue

I never would have guessed that there was something being kept from me. A huge family secret that no one spoke of. There was no reason to suspect such a thing. There were never any arguments or suspicious activities or anything along those lines to make me think something was amiss. I now wonder if I would have ever found out, or if the secret would have been taken to the grave, had I not inadvertently overhead that fateful conversation.

I had the most amazing family. My parents, Michael and Danica Clifford, (yes, Michael Clifford of 5 Seconds Of Summer fame), were attentive and loving, and they adored each other more than any other parents I knew. Between them and Uncle Ashton and Aunt Mia, I had everything a seventeen year old girl could need and want in life. Well, except for a boyfriend. But that wasn't exactly something they could provide for me.

By some twist of fate many years ago, which involved my mom taking care of my dad after an accident, (she was a nurse), Mom and Dad ended up falling in love. From what they had told me, it was a whirlwind romance, with me being a surprise pregnancy just a few short weeks after they met. So yes, I was technically a mistake, involving failed birth control. But I've never had any doubt that they loved me just as much as if they had planned me.

One of my greatest blessings was being best friends with Ashton and Mia's son, Ryder, whom they adopted when he was four. Ashton and Mia weren't able to have children of their own, until now. Despite trying for years, and eventually giving up on that dream, Mia unexpectedly became pregnant - with twins. She was due to give birth not long after Ryder and I were to graduate.

I was older than Ryder by five days. We were always very close. If you saw one of us, you'd almost always see the other. There was nothing that we didn't know about each other. We always got mistaken for being a couple, which was one reason why I had trouble with that whole boyfriend issue. But if it came down to having a boyfriend, or being friends with Ryder, I'd choose Ryder without hesitation. Though our relationship wasn't like that, I always found myself comparing potential boyfriends to Ryder. And the truth is, no one compared.

I had a younger brother, Xander. He was thirteen and annoying as hell, as little brothers are. My mom often said that Xander was a carbon copy of our father. The similarities were evident, both physically and mentally, except Xander didn't have a musical bone in his body.

I, on the other hand, loved everything about music. I wasn't great at learning instruments, but I was a good singer. Ryder would often ask me to sing along with him while he played his guitar. He was in a band with two other guys that went to our school. They called themselves Relativity, because they were all relatives of former popular music performers. They were just starting out, and weren't yet great, but they had potential.

Ashton wasn't really my uncle. But he and my dad were best friends, practically brothers, as well as band mates. Therefore, Ashton was my "uncle." And Mia was my mom's best friend. They had grown up together in the US. Mom introduced Mia to Ashton at one of the 5SOS concerts, which happened to be the day my mom found out she was pregnant with me.

Ashton and Mia were really like a bonus set of parents to me. They had treated me as their own ever since I could remember. I was especially close to Uncle Ash. I knew there was nothing in the world that he wouldn't do to ensure my happiness. One day, by accident, I would find out exactly what he had sacrificed for the sake of the entire family's happiness.

------------------------

A/N: I think I summed up the "need to know" things fairly well in this prologue, but this is a sequel to my other story, "Give Me the Greenlight, Mr. Clifford." You don't necessarily have to read the first one to enjoy this story, but you may like the way it led up to this.

FYI, to go along with the first story, this one takes place in Australia. However, I'm from the US, and I know there are going to be words, phrases, etc that may not jive with Australian lingo or whatever. Correct me if you wish, I won't be offended. Otherwise, just ignore it please. LOL. But keep in mind that Katesby's and Ryder's moms are American, so they may have picked up on some of their words/phrases, such as using "mom" rather than "mum." ;)

So many readers have told me that they think this story is better than the first, and I agree. The further along the story goes, the more involved the 5SOS guys become. Remember, this is mainly about their children, and set in the future. But I think you'll love the little twist and the way I involve the guys, especially Ashton and Calum.

I am always open to suggestions. And I love comments. If you like this, please vote and share. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. :D xo