Chapter 8: A Future Chosen

A year had passed since 7 - now 8 year old Marcy Wu had been transported into the strange land of Amphibia, and had been generously taken in by King Andrias, and things had been......somewhat better than they had been before.

Since attending the Newtopian Public School had been a complete disaster, she'd been getting home schooled by Lady Olivia, who was a very stern and often very critical teacher, but Marcy proved to be  a good student, paying utmost attention to Lady Olivia's teachings and doing all the work she'd been assigned.

Marcy excelled in academics, proving herself to be especially gifted in math , science and history. She actually loved history and science -- she found both topics fascinating, and was always asking Lady Olivia if they could go to the outskirts of Newtopia or the aquarium so that she could actually see some wildlife and plants that were native to Amphibia and learn more about them.Andrias was impressed that a girl as young as her had such an advanced level of learning, and was pleased that she'd taken an interest in  Amphibian history and the biology of the land.

However, education seemed to be the only thing Marcy was good at.

When it came to interacting with the Newtopians, she failed pretty miserably. She had a hard time looking them in the eye and didn't know how to start or keep a conversation-unless it was about the chapters of Amphibian history she was particularly interested in or if it was about Newtopian wildlife --plus her clumsy and oblivious nature constantly put her at risk of creating an unwanted scene or messing something up.....like the time she'd leaned on a farmer's stand only to have it all collapse, causing her to fall on and crush all the fruits and vegetables that had been kept underneath the stand.

As a result, Marcy was almost afraid to leave the castle-staying in her room or in the castle library-- where her lessons were usually held-reading every book she could get her tiny human hands on. She also played games on her DS or wandered around outside, trying to see if she could discover any new plants, animals or fungi.The only friends she seemed to have were a few plants Andrias had gifted her so that she wouldn't be too lonely in the castle...but apart from the plants, Marcy had no friends.

She was virtually all alone.

She was currently in the library, reading an enormous book that was about some old Newtopian Queen, when Lady Olivia barged in.

"The King requests your presence.Now." The aqua newt said.

Marcy sighed,closing the book with a loud "thud!" and putting it back on the shelf she's gotten it from before walking out and up towards King Andrias's throne room, tripping on the carpets that lined the halls a few times, almost breaking a few vases and knocking a painting down in an attempt to catch herself.

The old newt smiled as she walked in,clearing his throat.

"Marcy."

"King Andrias." She gave a small bow.

"You know you don't need to bow before me." He said with a small chuckle.Marcy nodded,straightening up,arms behind her back.

There was silence for a few moments,then Andrias spoke.

"Marcy, do you know what a successor is?"

Marcy looked up,nodding.

"Someone who takes over your occupation after you die or give it up."

"Very good! And do you know who can be someone's successor?"

"Their kids or someone they choose." Marcy raised an eyebrow."Why are you asking me this?"

Andrias sighed,looking away.

"Marcy.....As much as I hate to admit it.....I am a very old newt, and even us newts cannot live forever. As much as I'd like to rule over my people for eternity, I know that I cannot...." he said, sighing.