Chapter 28 - Paths

"You can stop trying to protect her," Seokjin said to Taehyung. "We both know you can't protect her from the trials."

Taehyung's shoulders dropped, but you could still see the tension in them. Seokjin waved to his own men - who were now also free from their cells - and gave them orders to continue sailing towards the light. They obeyed their orders, and Seokjin turned back to you and Taehyung.

"The Siren King will be very pleased with your delivery, Taehyung, I'm sure," Seokjin said, nodding to Jungkook and Jimin. "Especially so soon after the spiritual and physical realms have been united."

Taehyung swallowed but said nothing.

"That will work in your favor to get your wings back," Seokjin said.

"Your wings?" you asked.

Seokjin then turned to you. "Yes. The end of your cursed state. That's your goal as well, I take it?"

"I don't want anything," you returned with a roll of your eyes. "I only want to go back to my father."

He chuckled softly to himself. "Oh, Y/N. You really have no idea, do you? You have two choices: become a fully-winged, eternal siren once again, or be reborn into another useless human body after this life."

He stepped forward, looking down into your eyes. Taehyung stepped in protectively, but it wasn't necessary. You weren't afraid of Seokjin. You didn't understand why you should be.

"I have a hard time believing you don't want your real power back," Seokjin said to you after a moment. "I can already tell by your face that your soul has been through many lives to get to this current one."

"And what is that supposed to mean exactly?"

You honestly had no idea what it meant, but it felt insulting.

"Your soul is pure," he replied with an irritated sigh. "Which means that your soul has worked over a long period of time to redeem itself."

"Can you see why we were sentenced to reincarnation?" Taehyung asked warily.

Seokjin shrugged. "I could. With the right tools and a little of your blood, I can read your pasts easily."

"What is it with you people and bloodletting?" you asked.

Taehyung only chewed his lip and nodded, taking a step back. Seokjin eyed him for a moment and then nodded to Jimin and Jungkook.

"Finish giving the orders to your - uh - followers," Seokjin told Taehyung, "then take to the helm. I assume you can steer?"

Taehyung nodded respectfully.

"And do you know where the Den of Sirens is?" Seokjin asked.

"I have a general idea," Taehyung replied.

"Perfect. I know the exact location," Seokjin replied. "We should get there easily then."

Seokjin turned on his heel to attend to his men while Taehyung turned to walk towards his. You stood, confused for a moment, wondering who you should follow.

"Put them in the brig," Taehyung ordered his men, pointing to Jimin and Jungkook.

"You'll pay for this, Taehyung," Jimin swore, wincing as he shook his head. "Siren or not, I'll make sure you pay for this betrayal."

Taehyung only scratched his chin. "You know, you were much harder to charm than the others. I assumed it has to do with all that alchemy you dug into over the years. But nevertheless, I enjoyed the challenge to my powers. Because of you, I got much stronger."