Chapter 32 - Trials

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

Taehyung and you looked at each other, neither one of you opening the door. It felt foolish to open the door for people who wanted to doom your souls to an eternity of cursed wandering.

Taehyung eventually swallowed and stepped forward to open the door of the small dormitory you had been allowed to stay in. Two sirens stood on the other side, stone-faced and somehow paler than normal.

They must have been worried about their judgment as well.

"The trials will begin soon," one of them said. "We've been asked to retrieve you."

"Where is the king?" you asked, wishing for his warm smile.

"He's preparing to perform his duties at the trial," the siren returned. "You can see him at the court."

You nodded thoughtlessly, following close behind Taehyung as you walked towards your doom.

Your hands started to build sweat as you walked further and further into the caverns, not a word between any of you as you walked. You didn't feel that the sirens were cold creatures, but they were certainly as nervous about the trials as you were. The fear was putting everyone on edge. Something in you wanted to break the silence, if only for your own benefit.

"Tell me a story, Taehyung," you whispered.

Taehyung's eyes widened for a moment before he swallowed, his nerves showing more than yours. Maybe he was simply confused that you were speaking to him at all, after all the things you had said to him last night.

"Is this really the time?" he asked.

"It may be the only time left," you replied.

He paused. After a moment, he reached back and squeezed your hand, pulling you forward to walk beside him.

"There once was a beautiful enchantress who lived in a golden castle..." he started. "She was loved by all - far and near - praised for her beauty and magic.

"Then one day, while she was walking to the market, she was cornered by a terrible thief. 'Give me your greatest possession' he said. So she offered him money. He refused, asking again for her most precious possession. She offered him jewels, and again, he refused. 'What is it that you want?' she asked. 'I cannot think of a single thing more precious than my money and jewels.'"

Taehyung then gripped your hand, pulling you in closer to him.

"'I want the most precious thing of all,' the thief replied. 'Your heart.'"

Taehyung stared right at you as he said it, making your breath still as your stomach sank.

"But she couldn't give him her heart," Taehyung continued. "For his hands were too dirty to hold it properly."

"Taehyung..."

"And so the thief was left with nothing, unable to have what he wanted most because his hands were too dirty to hold it... and because even a thief knows he can never obtain a lady's heart unless she gives it willingly."

You squeezed his hand, trying not to cry. He gave an empty smile, stopping you both so he could rub his thumb against your cheek.

"Don't worry, little dove," he said. "Whatever happens to us, remember that your friendship brought me great joy for a time."

You squeezed his hand once more. "Me too."

"