chapter Ten: Jokul Alone

To think that two weeks ago I shed a tear with a friend on the tormented body of a polar bear and today I'm killing one to ensure me own survival in the depths of this shattered ecosystem called 'the north pole'.

The only positive thing that happened to me on this journey, other than the huge bag of bear meat I carry on me back, is that me heat waves are weakening as I move more north. I no longer melt as often and I feel that the cold strengthens me, but with the serious lack of rest and food I still lost weight . As I progressed, the ice became more solid which is something I thought was no longer present in the pole. I must say and add that it filled me with hope. Suddenly out of nowhere, a snowstorm attacked me and the whole area. I thought I would have to set up camp for the night in a self-made igloo, but just the opposite happened. I felt.. I felt stronger. The snowstorm made the journey easier. I guess the fact that I am made of ice does not only mean I can create ice, but also ice creates me. A symbiotic relationship with the coldness of the earth, so it seems. With me map and compass and according to the coordinates of the center point of the north pole, I realized I was just a few hours away from it. I kept going through the ice and heavy snow when I suddenly saw something unusual. An American research station, with their condescending flag on top and smoke came out of its chimney.

'What are people doing here?' I wondered. 'Research on the pole became illegal years ago due to the harsh weather.' I thought to meself. I approached the facility quietly through the white storm, using the storm to cover meself with snow-white camouflage. I reached the main door slowly, reaching for the handle and turning it as quietly as I can as the camouflage slowly melted and cracked off me. Turns out there was a strong lock placed on the door. I was trying to listen to the voices inside but couldn't hear anything but the fire in the fireplace inside. 'Maybe they're locked inside, maybe they need help' I told meself. Me hand came over to the locked handle and with a gentle touch I began to freeze the lock slowly. The ice covered the lock and began to weaken it. The lock was completely frozen so I moved back a little and slammed the door open with me shoulder covered in a protective ice layer.

I knocked the door off its hinges and a freezing breeze entered the station. As I walked slowly into the dusty warm room the floor around creaked. 'I am not alone' I thought to meself, not sure if I was hopeful or worried. I tried to find where the creaking came from, when behind me a dark figure appeared and stormed at me, swinging a rusty crowbar. I dodged and quickly grabbed the figure in front of me. I flung him to the other side of the room. To me surprise the figure was weaker than the aggressive first impression it gave. "Please!, don't hurt me!" The character shouted hoarsely and weakly as he lifted his head. In the dim light you could make out that this was a neglected, old, bearded American man. The man looked at me and noticed me right eye glowing with bright blue and it made him feel angst. "Yeti?!" He shouted with a confused and fearful face. He started trying to escape by quickly crawling on all fours towards the door, "You are not going anywhere mate." I told him in a serious, thick voice and smacked him back to the floor. "I have a few questions for you, aye?" I said firmly to the stranger. I put out the warm fire that burned in the fireplace. I could feel its heat weakening me the longer I stood in front of it. I sat on a creaking chair in front of the same frightened American, who was sitting on the floor with a bloody nose. "Start talking." And he sang.

"My name is Exxon Lee. I am a soldier, or more likely an ex-soldier at this point. I was in the United Ocean Nations. Five years ago I was sent here with three other soldiers and three other scientists on a secret mission to try to find a solution to the polar situation here, but times have changed and worsened... I am... The last one left". Exxon spoke in a feeble, starving voice. I couldn't help feeling some compassion. I opened me huge bag of raw bear meat and started cooking a quality meal.

The smell of prepared meat filled the lifeless facility with joy and warmth, the kind of warmth I was willing to endure. Exxon and I sat in front of the dusty table. Exxon