Chapter one: Again

Thealyn

 Instagram has gotten boring, so have all my other social media apps. All I really get to do all day is sit around at home. Just as I pull up a video, my father's secretary walks in, calling me to my dad's office. I follow him of course, it's not like I have much of a choice anyway.

My dad is a member of the mafia, and CEO of a small company, I've been a pawn in his game for as long as I've been alive. All I can do now is wonder what he needs me for now as I approach the door to his study,

As I walk in I see what I usually do, my father seated behind a large solid desk, accompanied by a man in a suit across from him. I walk in casually and seat myself next to the man, holding eye contact with my father.

"Get on with it," are the words that come out of my mouth as soon as I'm seated. My father nods, we've never spoken much to each other, today was no different.

"This is Mr.Lawrence, butler to the Usoro family." I know them, they're the head family of the mafia my father is part of, what did they want with me? I'm assuming it's something to do with an exchange for my life, that wasn't uncommon and it wouldn't be the first time anyway.

"And?" Is my only response.

"He's come to deliver a message from the head of the Usoro family."

I turn to the butler, "And what would this message be?"

He bows his head slightly before speaking. " The message would be this, young miss, you are expected at the Usoro family home by noon tomorrow to become the bride of the young master."

This young master would be Quenton Usoro, the second son of the head of the Usoro family. Interesting.

"Fine, when will my car arrive?" Things like this hardly surprise me anymore, I knew I would be married off one day; in fact, I'm surprised I made it all the way to nineteen.

"It already has, young miss. It will wait here at your residence and leave whenever you are ready."

I stand up, bending ever so slightly at the waist, "Thank you," I say politely, "I'll be seeing you tomorrow."

He stands and bows courteously as I leave the room, my father just watching calmly as the scene plays out.

I walk back to my room, feeling nothing in particular. I know this will most likely be the last time I really talk to my father, he's won something by giving me off like this. He wouldn't let me get married if he still needed me.

I'm not really sure what to expect but let's face it, these marriages are rarely happy. I'm pretty much hoping for the bare minimum: He doesn't abuse me and doesn't keep mistresses right in front of me, but not even this much is guaranteed.

I ask our maid for a large suitcase and she arrives with it around two minutes later. I walk over to my wardrobe and begin moving my clothes into the suitcase. I'm not very picky about my clothes so I don't need much, I make sure to bring all my fundamentals, as well as pajamas and a few formal dresses.

Once I'm all packed I clean up and lay down. It's already about seven O'clock so there's no point in leaving now. I sit on my bed and scroll through my phone, trying to fill the time before dinner, but nothing catches my interest. I put down my phone and grab a sketchbook and pen from my desk, I have nothing better to do.

I finally eat dinner before coming back to my room. All I do is brush my teeth and lay down, not knowing what to think. In the end, I decide to just go to sleep despite how early it is.