Chapter nine: Crest

Quenton

 I wake up to the sound of a gunshot, Thea is awake next to me, she clearly heard it too. We each grab our pistols from our nightstands and make our way to the door. I crack the door open and glance out, Thea is checking out the windows carefully. I get texts from my men outside, they got all except one, who slipped through, they don't know where he is but they know that he's here for Thea. I show her the massage and she nods, we make our way into the bathroom. It isn't actually very safe here against someone with a gun, they can just break the lock and enter, but it cuts off their entry points, there's only one way in, and both of us have our guns trained on it. I know that Thea has basic defensive training, she filled me in when she started working out, but her knowledge wasn't very deep and her skills weren't honed. Luckily, she already had the right mental state. Being raised in the mafia, she was used to seeing people die before her, she had seen men tortured and heard the cracking of bones. Having her as my wife gave me a lot of pride.

I've also learned that Thea is only sweet when she wants to be, about a week ago, someone tried to sneak into the mansion as a servant, but they were caught by her. I saw a ruthless side of her, and I can't say I don't love it.

The poor bastard coming for my wife opened the door, and as soon as I saw it wasn't one of my men, I shot. Straight through the chest, my bullet hits him, a second catches him in his head on his way down. My men come rushing in behind to inform me that aside from him, the place is clear. "Ugh we have to move rooms again," Thea complained, I could hear the sleep in her voice, so cute.

"Yes baby, I know, but at least you're safe."

Women in the mafia are targeted all the time. Most mafia leaders want a wife already within the mafia system, such as my own; this is mainly for security reasons. Women within the mafia are also relied on when their husbands or fathers are out on business. Because of this, opponents will target any and all women in a given mafia to try and minimize the number of inborn mafia men. It was all a brutal game. Sadly for opponents of my wife and I, We wouldn't let each other get hurt or be sacrificed, we would burn this world to hell first.

Soon after we handled the small crisis, we were fully moved into our second bedroom and ready to sleep again. We sleep peacefully together until six in the morning, when I hear my phone ring, I pick up and put it on speaker so a small Thea on my chest can hear. "I'm sorry man," The person who called was my best friend and brother in arms, Josea. I know he would only call at this time if it was important.

"Don't worry about it and tell me." I just need to know.

"There's another mission we need you on, we got information that there's a small group within the west making plans to kill you, your father, your brother, and your wife; they want your territory. "

"When?" My mind is already halfway in mission mode.

"We need to be out of here by eight, it'll probably be about a week. Plus three days of meetings afterward." I let out a deep sigh and hang up, we don't need any more spoken words between us. I turn to Thea, "I'm so sorry Baby."

"It's okay, I understand. Come back soon and don't worry, I have you covered here at home." I nod and pull her closer, just one more minute, please. Thea is an expert at handling meetings, she is kind, but cold to most everyone and handles business; no one in this house but me gets to tease her, they're all too scared.

We've been married less than half a year but I've been on six missions, our honeymoon even got cut short. I love giving Thea a good life, and I would do anything to keep her safe, but I hate having to Leave her.

(13 days later)

I'm finally back from my mission, it was way too long. I see a silhouette in the doorway as we pull up. I grab my bags like they're nothing, because at this point, they are. The only thing I really care about is feeling her against me. I practically run to the door and drop everything in my arms and pick her up. I shift her into one arm and pick up my bags in the other, walking into the house and towards our side of the mansion. She's leaning into my arms smiling, I'm probably smiling too but I don't know.

As we get to the bedroom I sit down on the sofa, still holding onto Thea, I can't feel her go again quite yet. "I got you something for your birthday," Thea's voice is as smooth and sweet as ever. Without waiting for my response, she wiggles her way off of my lap and starts removing her silk nightgown. She's in a simple set of lace black lingerie that suits her oh so well, but more striking than that is the mark down her side. It's a tattoo. It's a vine, a single flower on the end, it's gorgeous and well designed and it suits her so well. The tattoo wraps from the side of her right breast to the inside of her right hip. Her tattoo is of the Usoro family crest; she put our family crest on her body, forever. I don't even know what to say. She looks worried at my silent reaction, and I catch it on her face. Before she has even more time to jump to conclusions, I say, "It's beautiful Thealyn, and it suits you. It's the best birthday gift I've ever gotten." She smiles and I can tell she's relieved.

Then, just as she always does after I get home from a mission, she drags me in for a shower. Luckily, she showers with me. We spend way too long in the shower, she loves washing my hair and I love it too, the only problem is that I have to bend over significantly for her to do it. Thea isn't actually very short, she just looks like it next to me.

We finish up in the shower, I blow dry Thea's hair while she just stares at me. I've never liked getting stared at but I don't mind when she's the one doing it. Once her hair is dry I play with it for a little bit, her hair goes down to her waist and is smooth and shiny. She lets me just play with her hair whenever we have the time, which I'm grateful for. Once I'm satisfied with how much I've tousled her hair, I carry her back to the bed. I want to take her right here and now but she's tired and I can see it, I know she's had a lot of work while I was gone. Not tonight. I turn off the lights in the room leaving only the bedside lamp on, before returning to the bed. We didn't bother to put clothes on, which I don't mind. I lay down in the bed and pull her into me, then I decide I want my head beneath hers, normally I let her have her way and sleep on my chest, but it's my birthday and I want to be greedy. I love laying on her, I place my head between her chest and grow silent; I like listening to her heart beat, and feeling her warmth, she's so soft.

"I love you," she whispers, I'm not surprised at what she said but I'm still taken aback.

"I love you more," I respond. In all honesty we're probably tied. That was the first time we'd ever exchanged words of love. I think we both knew we love each other, but we never said it aloud. I did want to have a chance to do it first but oh well, wife gets her way. I snuggle into her chest and kiss her breast lightly, placing one hand on her stomach and tangling the other in her hair. So this is what it means to be content, to be happy. This woman, I swear, she's made me a whole different person. I fall asleep quickly.

I wake up to a lot of motion, and the sound of... Crying? I panic a bit and open my eyes, I see Thea there next to me, writhing and crying in her sleep. I know I shouldn't wake her but I can't bear watching her like this; I gently shake her shoulder. Thea's eyes flash open and she looks at me, panicked, "I-I'm so sorry." Why is she apologizing? Oh shit.

"Thealyn, look at me," She does as I told her, still in a fragile state. "How long has this been happening for?" She looks down.

"As long as I can remember," How had I never noticed? "You're normally in the gym when I wake up... And I know I should've told you but it's embarrassing." 

"How is it embarrassing Thealyn?"

"I'm still so weak, even when you're next to me, and you're so strong. I don't want you to think I'm pitiful." Her eyes are still looking down, I pull her chin up to face me.

"You aren't pitiful, you're hurt, and being hurt is nothing to be ashamed of." She looks like she's on the verge of tears, it makes my heart ache.

"I dreamed about that time, when I was fourteen," The time when she was raped. The son of a bitch was already dead, or else I would have killed him.

"Okay baby," I plant a kiss on her forehead, and then pull away from her a bit, I'm not sure I should be touching her right now. She feels my action and wraps her arms around me.

"No, no," Her eyes find mine, "Hold me, Please." How in the world could I resist, I pull her into me.  She takes a deep breath and relaxes a bit. She doesn't sleep until morning, and neither do I. I decide to work out at around five, no more working out at night, that's for sure.