Chapter two: Doubt

Quenton

A wife, I guess. That's what my father said so I suppose that's what will happen. He's in charge of every aspect of my life anyway.

He told me it would happen, but they struggled to find a suitable girl... someone already used to the mafia life.I heard this girl is the daughter of one of our subordinates and the same age as me. At least she was already a member of our circuit, so we didn't have to worry nearly as much about information leaking.

I really want to do my research on this girl, but I also want to genuinely get to know her. I decide to just wait, she probably won't like me anyway.

Marriages like this are almost never happy, they're purely to please our families and keep the business secure. Even though I've always known this, I've always hoped my wife and I could live happily together, to live together until we're old with a nice house and a few kids. I know how unrealistic it is, I do, but I can't stop myself from hoping.

I go to the gym, I need to get my workout in and I'm bored so it's just the most convenient. Plus, I'm trying to look good when my future wife gets here.

My flooding emotions make for a pretty good workout, the best I've had in a while actually. As soon as I'm done I head back to my room to clean up.

Once I'm showered, I start texting my best friend, Josea. Our texting turned into a video call because we both hate texting. While on the phone I filled him in about the news, and my thoughts. Josea has truly been the only person I've ever been able to talk honestly with, to speak to without filtering by sentences into their purest form.

Josea thinks I should just wait and see, I think so too. There's no point in worrying about something I can't change anyway.

We talk and joke around on the phone a bit more before we end the call and I lay down. I force myself to sleep for the sake of having energy tomorrow, I can already tell that it will be draining.