Friends?

It was 11:45 and the kids had gone off for break, by that point they hadn't caused too much trouble for the tired police officers or the exhausted teachers. There was a moment where one of the support officers dropped his phone and didn't get it back for about twenty minutes but other than that, the class had been a delight. The kids were really enjoying themselves and interacting with the presentation being given.

Daichi didn't have too much to do with the actual presentation itself as he'd never done it before and the other officers worried, he might be a little big and could scare the kids. It made Daichi worry that he was getting fat but they quickly explained that they meant that he was tall and muscular. It was a nicer thing to be called but it still left him feeling clunky and stood at the back trying not to take up too much space whilst deciding he'd lose the uniform the following day. He didn't really mind being at the back though because from there he had a perfect view of Sugawara teaching.

Nothing had changed from their teen years; he was still extremely maternal and kind – making extra time for the loud kids and lifting up the quite ones. It was refreshing that some things never changed and Daichi actually found himself enjoying his time. Suga's hair was a little longer that before so, when he leant down to talk to one of his students, he would have to tuck his hair behind his ears and hold it in place. It added to his motherly persona and Daichi couldn't ignore the feelings similar to those that he'd had back when he was 17.

He had been doing his best to brush them off but lunch meant that the kids went outside, the support officers went back to the station for a couple hours and Kaneko went to grab lunch. That left Daichi and Sugawara in almost the identical position to the one they were in that morning.

"You hungry?" Sugawara asked, moving over to his desk and pulling his bag up.

"No, I had a big breakfast I'll probably be good until later. You go ahead though."

Suga thanked him and invited him to sit in Kaneko's seat so that they wouldn't have to talk across the classroom. Daichi took it and took note that Suga still had the perfectly made and balanced lunch that he always did, it wasn't just the mannerisms that stayed the same. Daichi couldn't help but laugh, doing his best to pass it off as a cough.

"What's funny?" Suga demanded.

"Nothing, it's just I thought that after all this time, you'd have changed a little. You're the same as ever Suga...wara"

The ending to his name came a little delayed, Daichi wasn't used to saying it but boundaries had been set that morning and quite clearly.

"Yeah, I suppose it has been a while. Seven years is a long time though Daichi-san, some things change."

"Bit like that whole Daichi-san thing. That's different."

"Yes, well we're not the friends we once were." Sugawara replied bluntly, replacing the lid on his lunch and turning in his seat to face Daichi.

"Why is that Sugawara? Care to fill me in at some point?"

Daichi was getting a little snappy but seven years of being abandoned by his best friend had made him bitter.

"You know why Daichi-san. Don't act like I kept you in the dark."

"Would you stop with the -san thing!?" Daichi exclaimed, allowing his voice to raise a little. "It's Daichi."

"Okay well Daichi, you know why. Pretending that it isn't a big deal doesn't make it go away."

"Wait, you're going to sit there and seriously tell me that you ignored me for seven years because I kissed you drunk whilst we were celebrating one night. Come on Suga, we were stronger friends than that."