Chapter 4

[Taylum's POV]

I walk into the house and close the door behind me. I didn't want to leave Dae but I can't stay with him. I need to ask papa and mama for permission for our date. I hope they say yes because Dae is already my boyfriend so they can't say no.

I greet Nono and walk upstairs to my room. Putting my books down on the desk, I tap Finley's cage and make sure he has enough water and pellets.

Hugging myself, I smell Dae's jacket. It smells like him, I think I'm going to sleep in it tonight. I'm not giving it back to him.

I walk to the window and look outside. I start panicking because papa has Dae pinned against the car and I don't like it but I can't stop papa, I'm not strong.

I watch as Dae answers papa but I can't hear anything.

Dae's eyes look up at me and I can see that he's not sad that papa is doing this. I stand here and watch papa hold Dae but Dae's mouth is not moving.

Papa lets go of Dae and comes back into the house with mama, Tarryin, uncle Tommy and uncle Mike.

Dae looks back at me after getting into his car and smiles. I wave at him and he drives off. When I can't see his car anymore, I walk over to my swing and sit down. Pulling my legs up and hugging them to my chest, I sit there and smell his jacket.

I don't know what it smells like but it smells so nice. Dae smelt like this when he held me in the car and I didn't want it to end.

I always saw other couples and wanted to be happy like them but no one ever approached me and on top of that, I like boys. I researched it and I know that I am gay but even the boys, the other gay guys didn't approach me and I know it's because I'm the way I am.

I was surprised when Dae held me. It's been a long time since I was held and I missed it but everyone hurts me when they touch me but Dae didn't hurt me.

I was happy when he said maybe its because we are supposed to be together. If it's true then he has to be my boyfriend no? And then we get married and be happy, have babies and grow old together.

I've been jealous of everyone who is happy and now I can be happy too.

A knock hits my door and it opens. The smile on my face falls and I look at the mat on my floor.

"Son?" Papa calls while he comes in. He sits on the edge of my bed and doesn't say anything for a while and I see my mama's shoes at my door.

"Taylum?" My papa calls.

"Mn?" I answer.

"Can papa ask you something?" he asks me.

"Papa already ask," I say and hear him chuckle.

"Okay so I'll ask you another thing," he says and I answer, "K."

"That boy, Dae Ryeon, why did you ask him to drive you home?" he asks and I suck my bottom lip into my mouth.

"I like Dae," I answer and they keep quiet for a while and I suddenly remember. "Papa, can me and Dae go on date Saturday?" I ask and hear my father "Huh"

"Can me and Dae go on date Saturday," I repeat but hear no answer.

I raise my head and look at him quickly then look at my mother too before lowering my gaze. They both look shocked and I feel sad that they don't answer.

I feel my body tremble and my eyes start to burn. My eyes begin to water and I put my head in between my knees as my sobs make their way out.

"Taytay don cry please," my mama says as she walks into my room and kneels on the floor. I move slightly away so that she doesn't touch me and shake my head.