A New Player

The first few seconds of the walk through the woods were filled with silence as we both tried to comprehend what had just happened. He was now walking through the woods with a child that was covered in blood, has wings, and just seen them fall from the sky. I would have to guess that didn't happen too often.

 And I had just lost everything in less than a day, injured, and walking through the woods with a total stranger to who-knows-where. He could have hurt me earlier from where I was laying on the ground defenseless, but he didn't, and he is helping me, so he can only be so bad, I guess. 

In an attempt to break the silence, he spoke first, "My home is right up ahead. When we get there I can help you with your injuries."

I nodded my head in response while looking at the ground. I could feel his gaze on me, but at this point, I didn't care much.

"So how did you get there? And who, or what, did this you to?", he said while gesturing to my leg and mangled wing. 

"Its a long story."

"Well if you don't mind, could you possibly elaborate a little more once we get back?" I nodded once again. A question was bothering me and I wanted to ask him it.

"Why do you have a twig in your pocket?" I turned to him, curiosity plastered across my face and eyes.  He gave me a confused look showing that he didn't understand what I was referring to.

"Before you walked up to me, you were standing behind a tree and had a twig in your hand. Once you saw I was injured you put it in your pocket." After I described the moment, a flash of realization crossed his face, then a look of sadness. It looked like he was saddened by something that I didn't know or he couldn't tell me.  

"Oh. Um... Its nothing. I was out for a walk and saw you falling. I guess I never put the stick down until I got over to you." He stuttered for most of that statement as if he was trying to lie but I wasn't going to push for such a silly and small topic if he didn't want to talk about it. 

"Ok then." I say with a small smile on my face

Up ahead I could see a clearing in the trees where sun light came through. I could also hear a light rushing sound that must have been water. We stepped into the clearing to see a small cottage that sat right next to a small stream . The house was made out of bricks and covered in moss, vines, and leaves. Surrounding the cottage was many bushes and a garden containing all sorts of vegetables, fruit trees, and other plants. For a place that had an over-grown and disorganized look to it, it was quite beautiful and eye catching.  

We walked up the small pathway that lead to the door and I followed him in. The inside was a little small and was clearly designed for one, or two people at most. The front door lead into a small living room that held a two person couch, a arm-chair, and a coffee table. To the right of the door were some stairs that looked like some of the boards needed to be replaces, and ahead was a small kitchen with a small table in it. 

He lead me to the table in the kitchen and I sat down in one of the two chairs. He went to pull something out of his pocket but he had to stop himself and looked at me. He pulled his hand away from his pocket and walked into a separate room that was out of view. I thought I heard him say something, but I couldn't understand what he said. Moments later he walked back into the kitchen holding supplies like medical gauze, bandages, some matches, and other things.

He set the supplies down and turned to light the candles that were handing throughout the kitchen. Once he lit enough candles he grabbed the roll of bandages. 

"May I see your wing?", he asked kindly.

I slowly extended my injured wing, feeling the pain start to come back. He quickly looked at my wing and started to apply the bandages to hold it in a set position.