Chapter 3

Today is the day of the first test, Maria dressed me in a tangerine-colored gown, Dorian joked all the way down here that it is her color. When we get down there none of the Champions are there yet. Dorian takes a seat next to father and I take a seat next to Dorian, father looks at Dorian disapprovingly because I am here. When the Champions arrive I lean back and look behind the curtain, apparently, it is archery. I look back in time to see Dorian grin at Lillian, I give him a look. I see Chaol trying to hold in his amusement as I grin over at him. Brullo pulls back the curtain to reveal the archery boards. They all line up and grab bows most of them have pretty good aim, then a boy who looks close to Hollin's age steps up. In short, he sucks at it. "You can't even shot a cow in a pasture!" Brullo yells at him "I excel in poisons," he explains to Brullo. "Poisons!" Brullo says throwing his hands in the air, the other champions laugh. 

Later I really feel bad for the boy being embarrassed like that, I end up thinking about it for the majority of the day. To help clear my mind of it I take a walk in the gardens and head to the kennels. On my way there I run into Kaltain and another woman "Your Highness," Kaltian says to me but I ignore her transfixed on the woman next to her. She has skin the color of milky chocolate and eyes that are dark brown almost black. She is dressed in a white and gold dress that looks amazing. "This is princess Nehemia Ytger from Eyllwe," Kaltian informs me, Nehemia kneels down to me and says "Hello, little one," in Eyllwe. "I don't kno-" Kaltain starts to say before I cut her off "Hello, Nehemia," I tell Nehemia in Eyllwe with a smile. Kaltain's jaw drops to the floor, Nehemia's smile widens. "How do you know Eyllwe?" she asks me still smiling "Books and practice," I tell her sheepishly. She grins at me. Kaltain doesn't know what to say, Nehemia's guards are just as shocked. "May I ask where you were going?" she asks me "The kennels," I tell her with a wide smile. "May I come with?" she asks me "Of course!" I tell her with a big smile, I turn to Kaltain "You are dismissed," I tell her with no emotion. "Of course, Your Highness," she says as she takes her leave.

I walk with Nehemia to the kennels debating our favorite dog breeds, when we get there I open up the door and walk-in. We pass rows and rows of dogs, I stop at the pen with the newest editions. "Dorian hopes for pure breeds," I tell her as the pups run out and start jumping on us she laughs as they start slathering her in kisses. I look in the back of the kennel to find two puppies huddled in two separate corners, I pick up the one in the left corner and wrap him in my arms. "Oh, puppy," I croon at him as I bounce him in my arms like a baby "Why am I not surprised?" I hear someone say in the doorway it's Dorian. "I will be back," I say as I stalk off with the puppy to find it's mother. When I get to his mother she licks his face then licks mine I giggle I give the puppy to his mother, he curls up against her and snuggles in. I hear someone come in the doorway, I turn around and spot Dorian I smile at him "Do you want him?" he asks me nodding his head to the puppy. "Really?!" I say, he grins at me, I run over to him and throw my arms around him, Dorian and mother always reminded me of safety when I was in their arms.