CH 3

"Are you going to tell your parents about this guy?"

"No, why would I?" Patrick swapped out his soiled dress shirt and tie for one of the t-shirts and stowed the soiled garments in a plastic bag beneath the folding table.

"Even if he calls and still wants that date?"

"He won't." Patrick had trouble figuring out if he was relieved or disappointed. It had been a mistake to begin with—so, relief should be the dominating emotion. He'd stumbled but God had quickly righted the matter. Done and over with.

So, why are you still thinking about him?

"They probably wouldn't like the idea of you going out with someone you met here at the event, huh?"

"No." Patrick sighed. "But then, they don't think I should be dating anyone—even a Side B Christian."

"Have they given you any trouble about it lately?"

"About being gay?"

"Yeah."

"No, not really. They know they can't change my sexual orientation. So, agreeing to never have sexual relations with a man is the next best thing."

"You know they love you."

Patrick hung his head. "I know. At least they don't make me feel like the devil's spawn, like some parents."

Brian smiled. "Count your blessings."

"I do."

"So..." Brian sank onto the stool. "What are you going to do if this Derek guy does actually call?"

"I don't know," Patrick mumbled. "I mean, what was I thinking? Some cute guy comes on to me and I just give in to temptation without a fight? I should be a stronger Christian than that."

"You are a strong Christian. But you're also human. Who doesn't get caught up in the compliments and flattery now and then? It feels good to be desired. It's human nature. Don't beat yourself up over it."

Patrick wandered to the front of the booth and looked out into the street. "When he looked at me," he whispered, "I just wanted to throw away all my convictions and commitments and..." He sighed. "... just..."

Brian nodded. "Temptation of the flesh is a powerful thing. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." He left the stool and came to stand beside Patrick. "That's a hot topic in the Bible. But you're not confronting this blind—or alone." Brian draped his arm around his shoulder. "I got your back, my friend. If he calls, politely break the date, and if he tries to get you to reconsider, stand firm and make him understand the way things are."

The sudden tightness in his throat startled Patrick. He nodded. "If he calls... I won't go out with him."

. . .

"You taking off, boss?" Derek jogged over to Gideon's car as the older man closed the trunk.

"Yeah. I'm beat. I'll leave the nighttime partying to you youngsters."

Derek smiled. "You're hardly ancient."

"Ancient enough."

"If you say so." Derek shifted in place, hands stuffed in the front pockets of his jeans. "Actually, I was wondering if I could catch a ride back to the house. I came in with Lucas, but he isn't heading home anytime soon."

Gideon looked shocked. "You want to leave? You're not going to hang around for the night party that I'm sure is about to erupt?"

"No, not this time." Derek cleared his throat and continued to fidget.