CH 9

"You think he'll show?" Lucas lounged on the bed, watching Derek dress for the date.

"Probably not." Derek buttoned a black and blue striped shirt and tucked it into his black jeans. "I think he wanted to turn me down outright but was trying to be polite."

Lucas pffted and tugged out his wallet. "I'll bet you fifty bucks he shows."

"The odds are against you."

"I'll take my chances." He plucked out the bills and dropped them on the bed. "Is it a bet?"

"Whatever." Derek pulled his wallet from his back pocket and tossed the money on top of Lucas' cash.

"Paying for sex, now, are we?" Garrett entered the room with a grin. He looked Derek over and whistled. "Damn, baby, you're lookin' fine. Where you going all gussied up?"

"He's got a hot date," Lucas answered.

"Maybe," Derek mumbled.

"Maybe?" Garrett glanced at the two of them. "What does that mean?"

Derek sighed and gave Garrett the short version.

"I see," Garrett murmured. "And the money...?"

"We have a bet," Lucas said. "I say he'll show up. Derek doesn't think he will."

Garrett smiled and reached for his wallet. "Can I get in on this?"

"Why not?" Lucas grinned. "Show or not show?"

Scooping out a few bills, Garrett tossed them on the growing stack of cash. "I say he'll show."

Derek shook his head. "Go on, add your money. I'll be the one raking it all in when it's over." He didn't give a shit about the money and would love to lose this bet... but felt certain he'd be the one taking home the cash.

"Don't be so sure," Lucas said. "I have a good feeling about this. Something tells me this is gonna be easy money."

"I agree." Garrett tossed on a couple more bills.

"Neither of you has even met Patrick," Derek said. "How can you make predictions?"

"I met him," Lucas corrected. "More or less."

"You saw him for like a second."

"Don't matter. It was long enough to see he had the instant hots for you. His ass will be there." He pointed at Derek. "I guarantee it."

"How cute was he?" Garrett asked Lucas.

"Fucking adorable. If the twins had seen him, they would've ate him up."

Garrett chuckled. "Mm. Sounds yummy."

"I'd eat him." Lucas grinned and chomped his teeth.

"Shit." Derek snorted. "Who wouldn't you eat?"

"You have to go into this with a positive attitude." Garrett straightened Derek's collar and smoothed the front of his shirt. "Think—that sexy man wants me too much to stay away."

Derek nodded. "You just want me to lose so you can rake in your winnings."

Garrett laughed. "Well, that, too. But would you really be losing if he showed up? You can't tell me you'd rather have the cash over him."

"No," Derek whispered. "I wouldn't. I'd give up a fortune for him." He groaned. "Fuck, I don't even know why. We talked for a short while at Pride, then a couple minutes on the phone. Why am I letting him get to me like this? It doesn't make sense."