Chapter 19

I'm in Abigail's room when her blood pressure gets higher and her heart rate increases dramatically. I warn Nathalie and Will who are in the next room.

"It's Cushing's reflex," Will informs after observing her. "The intracranial pressure is getting worse. Her hyperventilation increased. We extube her," adds Nathalie. "Her pulse is decreasing again" I warn. "Two milligrams of atropine" asks Nathalie. I push in the contents of the syringe, "it's done". Her pulse eventually increased again.

On my way to Molly's that evening as agreed, I see him chatting with Foster a few yards outside the bar entrance. They don't see me and I decide to let them talk quietly knowing that Kelly certainly needs it. It feels good to find other people to confide in sometimes and I think that's what finding Kelly in Foster.

He joined me in the bar a few minutes later. He intertwines our fingers and enters the conversation with Matt and Sylvie. The rest of the evening passes quietly and I am happy to see that Kelly is more relaxed than the last few days.

Wednesday Kelly comes to pick me up at the end of my shift.

Unfortunately, we ended up losing Abigail. Her intracranial pressure was too high for her to survive. It took me a few minutes to recover emotionally. Tell me she was only crossing the zebra crossing and ran into a driver who was a complete asshole.

On Saturday morning, Kelly offers me "tomorrow night the Blackhawks play at home. How would you like to go see them and have a little restaurant first?". I accept with great pleasure, happy that he offers to go out.

During my shift and Kelly's, there is a big car accident on a busy road. Chloe, Cruz's girlfriend is one of them, she arrives at Chicago Med by helicopter in critical condition. I am not part of her medical team but I follow her interventions hoping to give good news to Joe. She eventually recovered in the day after the intervention of the doctors.

I spend the evening with Kelly. As agreed, we go to the restaurant. He made reservations in a very good gastronomic restaurant. We have a great time as we continue by going to see the Blackhawks game. I have never seen Kelly smile so much since the death of his father and I finally feel like I have found him completely. It feels good.

We spend a romantic Sunday.

On Monday, Kelly returns to work while I stay at the apartment to find and make a list of everything that will be needed for the baby. On returning from his duty on Tuesday, Kelly tells me that Casey's apartment has suffered a fire and that he has offered to occupy the guest room until he can find one.

"While on shift, a man called me and he wants me to restore his boat. He went to the barracks afterwards and showed me pictures of the boat," Kelly explains to me. I accompany him before my guard so that he begins to repair it. We're scratching the hull when we see Riley the owner's little boy in front of the garage door.

Kelly asks him "are you looking for your father?". Riley replies "no he went out with his girlfriend".

I look at him surprised because he must not be more than 10 years old. I couldn't leave my child alone at that age.

"Take a scraper" Kelly offers him. "This?" Riley asks, pointing to the tool.

I set him up a step ladder so he can be at the right height, "thank you" Riley told me with a smile. "We have to scrape off all the varnish, gently like that" explains Kelly, showing, "keep it flat" he adds.

Seeing that it's time for me to go to my shift, I announce "I'm going to have to go, nice to have met you Riley" and places a kiss on his cheek. I add "I'll leave you between handymen boys" before kissing Kelly and leaving for the hospital.

I meet other nurses before the start of my shift outside the hospital. I head for the emergency room entrance with April, Doris and Monique. We are about to cross the road when a man starts shooting his pistol from his car.

April tries to push us down to avoid the shots but I'm careful not to throw myself to protect my stomach. As we bend down, I feel a pain near my shoulder.

I remain a little stunned on the ground for a few moments and I see the car turn over on itself further.

I get up with the help of Monique and Doris. They take me to the emergency room where I get examined by Dr Rhodes. Nothing broken or out of place but Rhodes had to stitches me because a bullet hit my left shoulder. Luckily the bullet had come out so all we had to do was clean the wound and close it. I ask about the girls. April had a bullet that hit her but it's nothing. She only grazed her upper arm so she doesn't need stitches and will take care. Doris returned home because emotionally she took a hit and suddenly did not feel that she was concentrating properly in her work, which is understandable. And Monique has decided to stay on guard.

I then go up to the maternity ward to make sure that all is well with the baby.

As I am getting checked, Kelly arrives. He was warned while on duty by Sylvie who was the ambulance attendant who took care of the guy who fired.

My doctor, who has just examined me and is giving me an ultrasound, informs us that all is well with the baby and that he is developing well. Then she offers us "as the appointment to find out the sex of the baby is in two days, I can tell you now as you are both there if you wish".

With Kelly we look at each other. We don't need to talk, our eyes are enough for us to communicate. He shakes my hand, a sign that the choice is mine and that he will be happy no matter what I decide.

I turn to the doctor and say "we want to know".

She turns to the screen and moves the probe on my stomach. Then she informs us "congratulations you are having a baby boy".

My eyes immediately fill with tears of joy. Kelly kisses me and I feel tears running down my cheeks and they are not mine. When he pulls away, I see tears rolling down his cheeks. I smile and wipe him off with my fingers. Unfortunately, we do not have too much time for us and to enjoy our joy of the good news together because Kelly has to return to the barracks for a meeting.

We decide to keep the baby's gender for ourselves for now. And keep this joy of having a little boy between us a little longer.

I then return to the apartment because I am on sick leave for several days. Kelly joined me there a few hours later. We both swim in happiness after discovering the sex of our baby. The evening passes quietly with Casey who always sleeps with us and Kelly's smile that never leaves his face. Casey finds it a bit suspicious by the way but with Kelly we agreed to wait a few more weeks before revealing the good news.