Chapter 22

The following week is my week off so I stay at the apartment and do some shopping for the baby. On Friday, while Kelly is on call, I spend the evening with him at the barracks. Indeed, it's Valentine's Day but he's on call all night so we can't both enjoy it quietly. It's the big chili pageant at Station 51 tonight. I see the boys fighting in pairs and it's so funny.

Stella who passes by the barracks, suggests that I join her because she will join Emily and Sylvie for their road trip to Follerton, where Sylvie comes from. I accept with pleasure knowing that it will save me from spending the rest of the evening alone in the apartment. After having warned Kelly, having kissed him and wishing him good luck, I join Stella in her car and we go to the apartment so that I can pick up some things for this weekend.

We then go on the road, we make conversation on the trip with music in the background.

While on the road, we see a bus overturned on its side and a car. Slowing down and approaching with the car and with the headlights illuminating, we see that those are Foster and Brett with several young people and a man lying a little further.

Brett is taking over from Foster for heart massage. We hurry out of the car.

We had barely got off when Emily explained to us "this bus is a hockey team that got into a tractor. We have a broken leg, a rather deep abdominal tear. We managed to stop the bleeding. And to finish a cardiac arrhythmia, the sternal punch did not work".

"Ok, let's get it in my car" Stella reacts. "No we will never arrive in time, we have to straighten the bus. There's a dose of epinephrine in a bag that's stuck underneath. It could revive his heart, I saw chains on the tractor," says Sylvie.

One of the teenagers said to Sylvie "Madam his pulse is falling" while talking about another young person. "I'll take care of him, go ahead" Emily says to Sylvie. Sylvie goes to see the teenager while Emily takes over for the cardiac massage.

"Is your car heating on?" Brett asks Kidd. "Yeah" she replies.

"Alright we have to get it in the car," Brett says. The teenager from earlier says, "Connor, Logan, help me move him. 1, 2, 3." they bring it to three and place it in the back of the car. Kidd tells Brett who got behind the wheel of the car "come on you can try to back up". "I'm going," Brett announces.

During that time, I go to see Foster "how long has it been?". "6 minutes" tells me Foster. "Shift I will take your relay" I tell her and I continue the massage.

Seconds later, Foster injects the epinephrine. After a few seconds, the boy regains consciousness. We are about to drive it when the firefighters and paramedics arrive.

After arriving at the hospital with Stella's car, we are in the waiting room to wait to hear from the young people.

"Worst Valentine's Day night of my life," says Emily. "Next year I'll settle down on the back of my bed and watch Love Actually" reacts Stella. "I'm not going to blame you for it" says Sylvie.

"Personally, I risk spending my next Valentine's Day with crying or changing diapers," I said, stroking my stomach. "It is sure that your Valentine's Day will never be the same" Emily answers me with a smile.

"Sorry I took so long to arrive," Stella says. "It's kind of my fault. If we hadn't come to my apartment to collect my things, Stella would have arrived much sooner," I add.

"Even late we were very happy to see you" says Sylvie, looking at me with a smile.

I then decide to phone Kelly to keep him informed of the events. While we are chatting on the phone, I see the coach talking to the girls to update them on the boys. Seeing their relieved faces, I imagine the news is good.

I ask him about the chili contest. "Those are the paramedics who replaced the girls who finally won the chili contest," Kelly tells me. "While they found it stupid as a contest, ahah it's rubbish" I say.

The girls signal to me that we are going to go.

"We have to go. See you tomorrow, I love you, be careful" I says to Kelly. "It works. See you tomorrow," Kelly answers me before hanging up.

Tuesday I'm on call again. It happens without too many twists and turns. At the end I go to the barracks to see Kelly.

He tells me that the entire fire station responded to a call for a building fire this morning. The building's pass was missing when they went there, which made them take a long time to open the door to the apartment where the fire was starting. Fortunately, the man inside has nothing.

I find it very strange that a pass disappears like this.

I'm with Kelly, Matt and the chef in the garage when Grissom arrives with his cavalry. "What is this?" Matt asks.

"Can we do something for you?" Kelly asks Grissom. The latter does not even look at him. He walks up to the chief and says "Wallace it's time you return the favour" before entering the barracks.

I look at Kelly questioningly but he looks as lost as the rest of us. He kisses me before following Boden and Casey inside. Sensing that it might take a little while, I decide to go to the kitchen to make me some hot chocolate.

As I'm getting it ready, I see Voight walking in with Jay Halstead and Halley Upton. It does not smell good this business.

I watch them discuss and Kelly clearly doesn't look happy.

I clearly know he can't tell me about his meeting, but I can see it's working him.

I go back to the apartment a little later, being quite tired. Kelly comes home the next morning from his shift.

The next night, we go to Molly's with Casey.

I take the opportunity to see Jay and Hailey with the rest of their team, to go see them. After greeting each other, I directly ask them the question that burns my lips.

"I know you can't tell me what you discussed with a party of 51 and I totally respect that. So I will only have one question. Is Cruz going to be okay?" I ask.

They look at me surprised that I say his name.

"What? You don't have to be a genius to understand that he is being sent like some kind of spy in the barracks 66" I say.

"We can't tell you anything. But we will do everything to make sure that everything goes well for everyone and as quickly as possible" Jay told me.

"Very good because Joe is a good guy and I wouldn't want him to get into trouble" I add before joining Kelly and Matt at the bar.

Feeling that Kelly is still a little tense, I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers.

We spend Thursday quietly at the apartment. I try to change the ideas of the boys as much as I can.