2 // angel with black wings

//royal au//

part 1? maybe? i might make a part two idk 

He came down from the carriage with no poise, no excitement, no smile. I could tell by the woman next to him's face that she was his mother. She regarded him with quiet horror. The prince of the kingdom couldn't dare to straighten up and at least look happy to see his subjects? Juliet scoffed. She couldn't believe this was going to be the next ruler of the kingdom.

She noticed his eyes slide over the excited crowd in front of him. They were dark brown, almost black against his pale skin. A mop of curls blew slightly in the wind, framing his face and covering his brows. His crown sat crooked on his head. He wore a slight scowl, and his brows furrowed. Juliet folded her arms and frowned. As if any change would come from a boy like this. He didn't give a shit.

The prince stepped down onto the pavement, his legs long and clad in tight black slacks. He wore a white flowy shirt that exposed his chest, an image of a tattoo was splayed there. Juliet was incredibly surprised by this. No royal ever had tattoos, it was forbidden. For him to have one flat on his chest and displayed to the whole world, Juliet's frown turned deeper. She turned to her friend, Ana, who was almost swooning at the sight of him.

"I can't believe he's so improper," Juliet whispered into Ana's ear, her words lined with disappointment.

"Yeah, but it's attractive, don't you think? He looks so mad at the world."

Juliet only rolled her eyes, looking back at the prince who she found was staring straight at her. Her eyes widened and a shiver ran down her spine. He seemed to be distracted before coming back to himself and smirking at Juliet. Then the moment was broken. He looked away and the Queen ushered him down the street, his long legs moving him quickly.

Juliet felt anger suddenly fill her, and she grabbed Ana's arm stalking away from the crowd.

"Hey! What's your deal?"

"Nothing. I just hate him. He's not fit to be the next ruler of the kingdom. Did you see his tattoo? He's trouble."

Ana pulled away. "Love, I think you're overreacting."

Juliet regarded her best friend with a blank stare. "Really? He dropped out of that carriage with absolutely no joy or anything. He doesn't care about any of us."

"You don't even know him."

"I know enough, first impressions are important. I'll see you later."

"Right. Bye Juliet."

---

The air was cool as night fell, and Juliet found herself walking around town. She loved wandering the streets of the kingdom at night. It was calming. The moon shown through the clouds, bathing the street in pale light. She felt home in this atmosphere. As she strolled down the street she heard yelling and footsteps approaching quickly. She turned around to see a slim figure run her way looking panicked. Suddenly, the floor beneath her seemed to vanish until she felt herself being pressed against someone who was breathing rapidly. A hand covered her mouth.

Juliet was in a dark alleyway with a stranger. This was not good.

Panic seized her and she struggled in the stranger's grasp. They held on tighter.

"Shhhh!" They hissed. She continued to thrash. "Stop! Wait a second." The intruder whispered coldly. She found herself listening to them, body going still in their tight hold.

Footsteps sounded on the pavement, and three guards pounded past. As their footsteps faded, the stranger's grip slackened and their hand left Juliet's mouth. She spat on the ground and whisked around to look the stranger in the eye.

Pale skin, brown eyes, black curls.

Shock surfaced before anger surged even stronger inside her.

"What the bloody hell!" Juliet seethed.

"Listen-" The rebellious prince began.

"No. I'm not going to listen. I'm going to walk away. I hope you have a shit night." She stated before turning on her heels and beginning to walk. A hand grasped her arm and turned her back around. Her jaw clenched.

"No, look. I'm very sorry. You see, I'm just trying to have some alone time. You were in the way. I had no choice."

"Excuse me?"

The boy in front of her ran a hand through his curls in frustration. "Look, I'm sorry. Please just don't let anyone know about my being out here."

"It seems that someone already knows, Prince Matthew, you have three guards chasing after you right now."

"How did you know I was the prince?" He asked, seeming genuinely curious. Had he really no recollection of their earlier interaction? Maybe he wasn't truly staring at her then. Maybe she was making things up.

"Everyone knows who you are and what you look like. You're not exactly a nobody." She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest in annoyance.

He sighed before groaning and looking up at the sky, "Fuck me, I hate being a fucking Prince."

"Jesus, do you always speak like this in front of your subjects?"

"Well-"

"Ah- I don't care. I've wasted too much time here with you. Goodnight, Prince Matt."

"Matty." He blurted.

"What?"

"I prefer Matty, actually."

Juliet raised a brow. The prince looked almost sheepish as he said the words. "And why are you telling me this? I'm just one of your lowly subjects. We'll probably never speak again." Her words were laced with sarcasm.

"Well, I don't think that's true. Do you often roam the streets alone at night?"

"That's my business."

"Well, if you do, which I am certain you do, perhaps you need me around. It can be quite scary out here. Criminals and thugs, you know."

"I don't need help from some skinny self-absorbed prince. I can handle my own."

He laughed, "You're funny. I like you. Even though you insulted my image."

Juliet frowned, "It's not funny. I'm completely serious."

"Right. I don't doubt that you can hold your own. You're so quick to defend yourself. I'm only kidding." He gave her the same smirk she had been on the receiving end of only a couple of hours ago. It made her skin feel hot and her face flush. Out of anger, purely.

"I'm leaving now. Goodbye." She turned and began to walk away, this time he didn't stop her.

"I'll see you around, then!" Matty called after her. She could hear the smirk in his voice.

"I hope not!" She yelled over her shoulder.

As much as she tried not to think about their interaction as she fell asleep, a smirk and smiling brown eyes burned themselves into her mind. 

---

1,106 words purrrrr