Part 7: A Trapdoor Isn't a Real Door

Soren glared at Jesse, Romeo, Lukas, Petra, Aiden, Jack, and Nurm.

"In case you haven't noticed, you've come here uninvited. You broke in instead of knocking on my door or letting me know that you would be coming," Soren pointed out.

"Actually, there was no door, so-" Romeo piped up. Petra let out a sigh of exasperation.

"Ro. Stop talking. It's not helping," Petra groaned.

"But there was no door. The entrance was literally a ladder with a trapdoor above it. We also had no way of contacting Soren because he's far too off-the-grid for us to reach him in any way. In summary, breaking in was the only method we could use to enter the fortress," Romeo protested. Soren scoffed and the intensity of his glare strengthened.

"Nonsense. A trapdoor is a door and you could have knocked on it," Soren argued. Romeo looked completely baffled by Soren's reply.

"That makes absolutely no sense. A trapdoor isn't-" Romeo began.

"Ro, trust me when I say you're wasting your time. I'll explain how you're wasting your time later," Petra interrupted. Romeo smiled sheepishly.

"Right. I'll stop talking," Romeo agreed. He turned his head to Jesse and stared at her, in an attempt to communicate that he was relying on her to handle the negotiations. Jesse nodded, having clearly received Romeo's nonverbal message.

"Soren, we wouldn't break into your fortress if it wasn't for something super important. There's a clue hidden somewhere in this room that will lead us to an evil bad guy's lair so we can save the innocent people that he's kidnapped," Jesse explained.

Romeo grinned at her. She'd made a smart move. There was no way Soren could continue being cross with them if they had come here to save lives.

"No one ever comes to me because they want to see me. It's always because they want something. Last time you wanted my Formidi-Bomb, this time you want a clue that is supposedly hidden in my fortress," Soren snapped.

Romeo's face fell. He was so sure that Jesse had convinced Soren, but apparently she had a bit more persuasion to do.

Romeo didn't like talking things out to convince people. He'd always thought of debate as confusing and stressful. It was a lot easier when he could just say "do what I want or I'll unleash a horde of monsters on your town." That was simple, direct, and a lot more fun.

"Soren, I've really wanted to see you. I just haven't had time with all of the town running and world saving... that and the fact that it's a long and dangerous journey to visit you and you disappeared for a while. But maybe if you could visit me in Beacontown we'd be able to set up a time to hang out," Jesse replied.

Suddenly Soren's mood completely changed. His expression was one of excitement and happiness.

"That sounds splendid!" Soren exclaimed.

Romeo had no clue what just happened.

"I'd like some introductions. I recognize Jesse, Petra, and Lukas- as well as Jack and Nurm, the legendary treasure hunters-" Soren continued.

Jack fainted and Nurm caught him.

"...though I didn't know that Jack was prone to fainting. Does he have some sort of medical condition?" Soren asked. Petra struggled to hold back a laugh.

"No, he's just super excited to meet you and freaking out about the fact that the legendary Soren recognized him," Petra snickered. Soren raised an eyebrow, then nodded.

"I see. As I was saying, I recognize everyone except for leather jacket and bright red hair. I used their defining physical characteristics as placeholders for their names," Soren added. Aiden stepped forward.