Chapter 3: re-escape

It's been 30 minutes now, actually I don't know how long it's been, but it's been a fucking long time. And his grip on me still hasn't loosened, I am starting to freak out. Well, I was already freaking out, but the non-existence space between us is just the cherry on top of the cake. I don't want to anger him.

He hasn't hit me yet and I don't want to move and give him a reason to. I can hear my breathing increasing, indicating a developing panic attack.

I didn't hate stripping. I hated the beating, the starving to stay in shape and the constant insults. But when I was up dancing around the pole, I was actually in control. I was in control of my performance, in control of what kind of performance I wanted to give.

I cling to that memory now. The memory of dancing for money.

I try to blend out what is happening around me, be it the noise of the car, the sound of the driver humming a song or the feel of the man breathing down my neck. I remember when I started stripping, I didn't feel in control until I realised I still had choices left.

As I do now too. I have control over how I react, over my own actions still. I can decide how I want to behave with this man, be it hostile or scared or whatever else I want to feel.

I AM in control.

I can feel my breathing becoming more steady, my heart-rate slowing down again and my vision clearing. That was a close one.

Just as I am relaxing because I know that right now I can't do anything, the head on my shoulder lifts away. I resist from flinching because of the movement. I AM IN CONTROL.

From the corner of my eye I can see the man holding me looking out the window, so I do the same. After driving through the forest for god knows how long I realise we've arrived in a small town. The driver parks in front of a big building, turns in his seat and nods once at the man before getting out of the car.

DON'T. FREAK. OUT. it isn't going to help.

After the driver's door closes, I can hear a sigh coming from behind me. When the hands holding me in place suddenly lift off of me, I scramble into the other seat; staying calm payed off.

His eyes drill through me as mine observe his every movement, trying to gauge what he will do.

"My name is Lorenzo Achlys, I am the Alpha of The New York State pack." Alpha what? Pack who? Was this guy in charge of some kind of wolf adoring sect?

My confusion was written all over my face I suppose, because his eyes kind of narrowed.

„What is your name? Where are you from?" He sounded kind of confused too.

I thought it best to answer because who knows what he'll do if he gets angry. „I'm Noelle Luna, and well, I lived in New Jersey before-„ I couldn't finish my sentence as so called Lorenzo began to apparently choke on his own spit after I said my name.

When he recovered and locked eyes with me again he looked slightly amused.

„Don't make fun of me, what's your real last name?" He scolded nicely.

„I'm not sure what you mean...That is my name"

He sobered up from his laugh and looked frustrated now.

„You're last name can't be Luna."

„I mean, I suppose it isn't really, but the judge let me decide what last name I wanted when I came into the system when I was 8..." why the hell was I spreading my life story in front of this guy?!

Actually it could help me gain some sympathy. If he pities me, he'll feel too guilty to hurt me!

„My parents abandoned me at a New Jersey Hospital without any information, the only thing I remember is my first name. I was too old to get adopted because no one wants a mentally damaged 8 year old who doesn't even know where it's trauma comes from. That's why I still have the last name the judge let me choose." I tried to addd a little sniffle, which wasn't very difficult since my nose was still running.

When I lifted my eyes to his I was satisfied to see that there was indeed pity in them, but what unnerved me was that there was also understanding, as if I was a puzzle he managed to start solving, I didn't like it at all.

„I see, so you grew up with humans?" He said it softly and with sorrow. He started sliding over and coming closer towards me.

SHIT! Pity was bad. Abort. ABORT! Scary green eyed dude just confirmed that he is some kind of monster!!!

He slid closer and closer towards me, in a seemingly dazed state "was there no one in your old pack that could take you in? Did they send you away?"

This guy sounded way too genuine for my liking, it was really unnerving. He didn't stop coming closer towards me, even if he was moving at a snails speed, I could feel another panic attack start building up.

"Is that why you're so afraid of me? You think I'm like those other wolves that abandoned you? You're mine, I would never let anyone hurt you Noelle, including myself."

This dude looked like he just solved the Da Vinci code and I had to control the small smile that wanted to break out on my face because I had no fucking clue what he was talking about. It was when I gathered my thoughts and focused back on the situation that I realised that my panic had subsided.

That was quick

Lorenzo took in my silence and apparently decided to take it up on himself to comfort me because he thought I was upset about something, but I had no clue what. He was almost touching me, his hands just inches away from grasping my shoulders to, I assume, pull me onto his lap again.

That's my cue.

I looked over his shoulder and gasped, making him turn immediately to look at what was not behind him. Then I opened the door and sprinted out. I had no chance of over-powering him so I took my chance with distraction instead.

FUCK, my ankle hurts.

I heard no footsteps behind me, unexpected, but good!

Maybe this was my chance of escaping the shit the world has put me through to finally be free and happy. I could make it, no one was ever going to beat, insult, or rape me ever again. I was finally my own woman.

I ran -more like limped- a bit more down the road until I finally saw someone. Sadly, it was a guy. But beggars can't be choosers.

"Excuse me, where is the closest police station?" He looked at me as if I was dumb.

Alright maybe this town is so small it doesn't have it's own police station.

"Do you have a phone then? I really need to call the cops!" The confusion on that guys face only grew. He sniffed the air as if to make sure of something and then went back to being confused.

"If you have an issue, mind-link the Alpha if it's really important. If you don't want to bother him you can ask Matteo for help, I don't think the Beta is busy right now."

Wait, what? Is this some kind of coded message I'm too dumb to understand?

He must have seen the confusion in my face. "You know what? I'll just mind-link Lorenzo to come so you can tell him what's wrong, I'm sure he won't mind."

Lorenzo? Lorenzo. LORENZO!

It was yet again my cue to run for it. This was some kind of non-human sect and I did not intend to find out more about them.

When the guy saw me start to limp away at a fast rate, he grabbed my arm. "Now hold on, that ankle needs to get checked, little bitch." His tone was kind, his smile genuine and his eyes concerned.

This is so fucked up

I turned around, came a bit closer to him, and kneed him in the balls. He fell to the ground with a wince, his eyes shut tight. I felt a little guilty, but he called me a bitch for no reason, so I swallowed my remorse and ran -limped- in the direction of the trees to make him lose sight of me.