Chapter 4: woods and wild animals

Note: bitch is a term that can be used when addressing a she-wolf.

I didn't any footsteps following me, but that didn't mean anything, they could be too silent for me to hear and I was not going to turn around to find out. I needed to keep going.

Once I was well into the green foliage, i finally slowed down. I stopped completely at some point to check on my ankle and it did not look good. If I wasn't in so much pain, I might have appreciated the beauty that wild forests possess. I should be creeped out by being in a forest in the middle of the night, but I have seen so much worse that this actually gives me a serene feeling.

The way that the wind rustles through the leaves, but it's so dark I can't actually see the leaves move, the way that I can feel that I'm the only person in these woods. Animals don't freak me out, they're not inherently bad, they're out here surviving like I am. There is no evil to be found in their hearts. Not like men.

After another hour of walking through the forest I decide it's probably best to stop and rest, for one because of my ankle and also because I can't even see where I'm going, and I already ran into a tree twice.

I settle down next to a particularly large tree with a nice amount of tree muss that looks comfortable. I can hear my stomach giving a light rumble but ignore it, I'll look for something edible tomorrow.

Pulling the huge hoodie I'm currently wearing up to my nose and putting the hood on, I feel grateful that I ran away after that Lorenzo dude gave me some decent clothes, maybe i won't die freezing.

Xxxxxxxx

I can hear a bird singing, light pinching my eyes until I actually manage to open them. I am greeted with a blue sky, birds flying from one tree to another over my head. This feels like actual bliss. I might be so cold that I don't feel anything, but waking up with the knowledge that no one is controlling me or making me do something, feels amazing. Knowing that this is my own life and that I'm in charge of it, that I can choose to wake up frozen in a forest, is comparable to a high.

I haven't been high off of life in a long time.

When I finally manage to gather my senses, I realize there is some kind of snoring going on near by.

Sitting up abruptly I notice a gigantic wolf sleeping around 25 feet away from me. SHIT.

I stand up as quickly and quietly as I can. I can't run away, if it sees me run away it will see me as prey and hunt me down.

It is then that something lying in between the wolf and me catches my attention, food. There are a couple of apples lying on the ground. I'm so hungry.

I need to focus on escaping!

I do a 360 as if magically an idea would pop into my mind. Well surprise, that actually works.

If I can manage to climb the tree I slept against I should be fine, it's pretty thick so it could hold me with no problem. Maybe I can try and take the apples with me, not like the wolf is going to eat those. Plus it looks fast asleep. I'll be quick.

As quietly as possible, I get closer to the nutritious treasure. The wolf stops snoring but doesn't move, he's probably just in another sleep phase or something.

When I finally get to the apples the wolf still hasn't moved. I pick all of them up and walk back to the tree as quickly as my ankle will allow. Once I'm there I push the apples into the pockets of the joggers and the sweatshirt.