Chapter 5: waking up

Hi! If anyone is reading this, it would mean the world to me if you voted or commented! ;)

"What happened?"

My hearing was back. I couldn't move, I couldn't open my eyes. But I knew I wasn't in the dream lands anymore because I was terrifyingly aware of my surroundings and the sounds around me.

There was shuffling me, a beeping noice, breathing, and don't know how, but I could also hear the tension.

"I'm sorry Lorenzo."

"I told you to start using my title!" It was him, the man from the car, Lorenzo. And he was angry.

"I'm sorry Alpha." This was the guy that called me a bitch.

"How did this happen?" Lorenzo. There was more shuffling. I could feel a blanket being brought from my shoulders to my chin.

"She was severely dehydrated Alpha. Christopher couldn't have known humans need more liquids. Adding to that it appears she has a rhinovirus." There was silence. "It's a cold. It shouldn't have been too bad but I believe she hasn't rested enough for it to heal properly. I gave her fluids so she should be waking up soon enough." That was definitely a doctor.

"She's not a fucking human, stop calling her that."

"Maybe, but right now the only thing that separates her from the human race is her scent. In order for her to get better she needs to be treated accordingly because right now she is way to weak to be considered one of us."

"You-" Anger again.

"I mean no disrespect Alpha, I am merely talking about her medical condition."

There was some more shuffling and then a door opening before closing again. Someone left, the doctor?

Silence.

Deafening silence.

"I'm so sorry, I should have been more careful...Alpha."

"You should have indeed." Silence again. „You can go now."

Steps.

"You shouldn't be alone right now." This was the guy called Christopher.

I was getting good at recognising the voices

There was a thud.

"This is my mate lying unconscious on this hospital bed." Anger. Pure, raw anger. "You need to understand boundaries. Whatever used to be, isn't anymore. Maybe nothing has changed for you, but I don't want you close to me anymore, I don't want to touch you and I sure as hell don't want to fuck you. Get that through your skull and get out."

Heartbreak, utterly shattering heartbreak and disbelief. I could literally hear it.

Then there was outrage.

"How could you say...how could you think that! I would never- this is my luna on the bed!"

"I said GET OUT!" Lorenzo boomed.

I heard some more footsteps, the door opening and closing again before there was a sigh.

From what my damaged brain cells could gather, this Lorenzo dude was utterly heartless and brutal, and I really needed to get out of here.

XXXX

The lack of response my body had was seriously frustrating. Especially since I could still hear the anger-issues guy breathing in the room and I assume he sat down somewhere.

Then finally, I started to feel my fingers twitch beneath the covers, my eyes starting to flutter slowly. The room was bathed in darkness, and I was thankful that there were no lights to blind me.

The instant my eyes finally opened and I looked to my right, I locked eyes with green unblinking orbs.

I was alone in this room, on a bed, with a man that had me sitting on his lap a couple of hours ago, and he knew I was awake.

My heartbeat sped up, my breathing becoming shallow.

He stood up slowly and gave me a sad smile. "I understand."

And then he left.

Not much later, a nurse came in.

A woman. Another person of my own sex. Not a guy.

"Hello Noelle, I'm Josephine. Is it okay if I check on you to see if everything is fine?"

I nodded, I couldn't speak, my throat hurt to much.

She went to my bedside and pushed a button to make the bed move me into slightly more sitting position. She then gabbed a glass from a table and filled it with water before putting a straw into it and handing it to me.

I took the glass greedily but knew better then to gulp it all down at once, this wasn't the first time I had been parched until my throat burned.

The nurse watched me attentively drink the water in a very slow fashion.

"May I check your side? From our scans your back seems fine, but you have two bruised ribs."

I nodded again.

"Great!"

She went to grab some gloves from a cabinet and came back to my side.

"I'm going to lift your shirt to see if the swelling has gone down, is that okay"

"Yes" I rasped out.

It didn't hurt in the slightest, I was probably high off morphine.

"Now I'm going to feel around the bruised area, tell me if it hurts."

It didn't.

"Thank you" I said in a small voice.

"I'm just doing my job sweetheart." She told me with a smile.

"No. Thank you for asking." That took her by surprise and her bright smile faltered a bit.

"Of course." Then the smile was back, I liked her smile, it was reassuring, comforting. "It would be good for you to talk to someone, I believe there is a lot you have to say, and there is also a lot you need to be told."

This was going against everything I've ever been taught in my life, but I trusted her. She genuinely looked like she just wanted what was best for me. So I nodded. I could escape later when I was able to walk.

Her smile was contagious and I couldn't help the smile threatening to curve up my chapped lips.

"Now, we have a psychiatrist." She hesitated. "But he is a man. Is that okay with you? He is really nice, his name is John, he's helped me a lot in the past."

I shook my head profusely. That was NOT happening.

"Can't I...can't I talk with you?"

"Of course, but I'm afraid I don't have a degree."

"Doesn't matter." I said quickly.

She smiled brightly. "Great! Do you want to start telling me your life story?"

I was getting comfortable with her, she was no threat, she was a fucking puppy. Which brought me to what has been plaguing my mind since I was taken from the strip-club.

"Actually, you could start to tell how the fuck werewolves aren't just fiction." I smiled at her.

She raised an eyebrow,

She was impressed.