2.

That night, you wanted to say it was first-day nerves keeping you up, simply anticipation of your new job, new coworkers, the stress of learning people's names and impressing your new boss. In reality, all you could think about was that man from the gala, how his hands touched your body in all the right ways, how he felt perfect. 

You tossed and turned, desperate to get him out of your mind, but after an hours worth of unrest you decided to put on a boring podcast and hope it was enough to lull you to sleep.

You weren't sure what time exactly you managed to fall asleep, but you knew it was too late -- when your alarm starting blaring at 5:00a.m. you shot up out of bed, attempting to rub the sleep from your eyes and failing miserably. It was just going to be a slow day, and it didn't help that it was Monday.

You dragged yourself into the shower in hopes that the warm water would wake you up, but all it did was make you want to crawl back into bed and snuggle up in the covers. You resisted the urge, getting dressed in a black pencil skirt and red blouse. Luckily, though, as you pulled your hair up you remembered the purple markings all over your neck from the night before, and changed into a turtleneck instead. It wasn't the best you ever looked, but you didn't look half-bad either. 

The drive to work was the same as your usual one, only this time had much more added excitement. Instead of taking the steps up a floor, you had graduated to taking the elevator up to the eighth. It was a mundane thing, sure, but you also had to admit how eager you were to have that privilege. 

------

As the elevator doors pinged open, you took a deep breath. This was it. You were finally here. 

The doors to the BAU swung open as a dark haired woman made her way towards you in the hallway, a wide grin on her face. She extended a hand and you shook it while she introduced herself as SSA Emily Prentiss. You exchanged your own name, as well as a few pleasantries. So far so good, you thought. She motioned for you to follow her inside.

"So, Agent Prentiss," you asked her as the two of you walked through the doors, "You're my new boss then?"

She laughed, saying, "No, Hotch is in his office. He said he'd wait until after to greet you. And please, just call me Emily."

You were too nervous to ask her what 'after' meant, and besides, your train of thought was interrupted by the visual stimulus in front of you. 

The first thing you noticed were the amount of desks in the middle of the floor. You had heard rumors of the bullpen, but actually seeing it with you own eyes was a different thing entirely. The second thing you noticed was the giant welcome sign strung up between walls and the group of people standing underneath it, all waiting to say hi to you.

Emily left your side and you were bombarded by two blondes, one of whom was wearing all neon and a fuzzy headband. The neon one introduced herself as Penelope Garcia, the technical analyst, and then proceeded to say a lot of very nice things, most of which you didn't catch due to the speed at which she was speaking. The other blonde told you to call her J.J., and shook your hand like Emily had. 

Penelope was still speaking when a man came up behind her, laughing, and put his hands on her shoulders. "All right babygirl, lets give fresh meat a chance to meet everyone before you scare her off." Penelope punched his shoulder lightly, a grin on her face.

The man held out his hand, saying, "I'm Morgan. Derek Morgan. It's nice to meet you Y/N. Penelope's told me a lot about you."

You looked at him quizzically, wondering how they knew about you already, before Penelope said, "I promise I didn't mean to stalk you, I just read your files from the Bureau!" 

You nodded slightly, still confused and quite honestly, very overwhelmed. Then, a skinny, much younger man came out from around the corner. He looked like he was lost.

"Hi, I'm Y/N," you said, holding out your hand. He crossed his arms, while Morgan explained that he doesn't like to shake hands.

"Dr. Reid is a bit of a germaphobe," he said. 

"Well, it's very nice to meet you Dr. Reid."

"Call me Spencer," he said, smiling at you with a closed mouth. 

Emily reappeared with a cake in her hands, one with white frosting and pink lettering that read "WELCOME TO THE BAU!" You smiled, and started to laugh. The job was one thing, but you could tell that these people were going to become your family. It was as if fate had brought you here, as if you were destined for a new beginning.

They started signing happy birthday, and though Reid protested that the song was inappropriate for the occasion,  Morgan teased him into eventually joining. By the end of the song even you had started to sing along too. You blew out the single candle that Emily had put on top of the cake, and laughed again. You hadn't felt this happy, this at home, for a long time. 

Penelope hugged you, welcoming you once again as the mock-party began to die down. Spencer had gone back to his desk and was reading files at what looked to be an impossibly fast pace, while Emily and J.J. were deep in conversation in a corner. Morgan told Penelope that he would walk her back to her office, and she took his arm as they left, leaving you alone in the middle of the room. 

Walking over to Emily and J.J., you asked, "When do I meet the boss?"

"Nervous?" asked J.J., though her tone was pleasant and you could tell she was trying to tease you.

You confessed that you were a bit nervous, so Emily pointed out his office door to you. His blinds were closed, but you could see a light on inside. 

"Why don't you go say hi? If you control the situation you're less likely to be nervous, you know."

"I know," you said, "Thanks, Emily."

You made your way up the stairs and stopped in front of the door that read Aaron Hotchner. You drew in a shaky breath, not bothering to knock, and opened his door. You turned around to shut it, and turning around to face your new boss you immediately locked eyes. 

The world had stopped spinning and suddenly, in an instant, you were back at the gala on the couch, the dark haired man hovering over you, panting. In an instant you remembered the feeling of his fingers around your neck, remembered the purple bruises under your jaw from his mouth sucking, biting, then soothing, remembered the way he looked at you while you had him in your mouth. 

The way he was looking at you now was much different. 

Of course he was your boss. So much for new beginnings.