Chapter 6: The First Task

Madam Pomfrey was able to fix Fred and George up within an hour, and they were back to their young, handsome, goofy selves. We continued to go to our classes, causing absolutely no trouble in potions, so Snape wouldn't have a reason to believe we had set the decoy detonator loose. Fred and George were good sports about what happened with the Ageing Potion, able to laugh at their failure. Fred was admittedly a little mad his genius plan didn't work, but he let go of it quickly. That was until, the champions were chosen.

The entire student body was gathered in the Great Hall after dinner, sat at our house tables, with a few sitting on bleachers against the walls. Some tables had been moved to make room for a large space for the Goblet of Fire. "Sit down!" Dumbledore bellowed, silencing the hundreds of conversations instantly.

Anyone still standing quickly found a seat, and we watched as Dumbledore slowly approached the Goblet. "Now, the moment you've all been waiting for."

He dramatically raised a hand, wordlessly dimming the lit torches around the hall. Dumbledore approached the cup slowly, his arms raised, and caressed it gently. "I feel like we should give them some privacy." Fred whispered in my ear.

I bit back a laugh, trying to cover it as a cough. It earned me a few annoyed looks, and a smug smile from Fred. I elbowed him lightly before turning my attention back to Dumbledore.

The flame in the goblet had turned an angry red. It shot up, spitting out a small piece of parchment, it's edges still smouldering. "The Durmstrang champion is... Victor Krum!" Dumbledore announced.

Applause rippled through the room, a few girls pointing and whispering to their friends as Krum rose victoriously, his comrades clapping him on the back as he made his way to Dumbledore. They all fancied him, and I couldn't blame them, but I had my eyes on someone else. Krum shook hands with Dumbledore, and headed towards a doorway behind the teachers table, disappearing in the darkness.

The goblet grew red again, spitting out another burnt piece of parchment, this one was blue with gold frills. Dumbledore caught it easily, reading the name off it, "The champion from Beauxbatons, is Fleur Delacour!"

A gorgeous blonde girl rose from the table the Beauxbatons girls had claimed. The hall once again clapped as she shook hands with Dumbledore, and disappeared in the same doorway Krum did. Once she was gone, the cup once again grew red, spitting out its final name. "Your Hogwarts champion, is Cedric Diggory!"

The Great Hall exploded in noise, mostly from the Hufflepuff table. I cheered along politely, I didn't much care for Diggory, and would've been much happier if Angelina Johnson, a fellow Gryffindor, had been selected, but Cedric was chosen as the Hogwarts champion, so I would have to cheer him on. He too disappeared through the doorway Fleur and Krum had.

"That's it! We now have our three champions!" Dumbledore yelled over the noise of the Great Hall, "But only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory! The Triwizard Cup!"

He pointed behind him, where a glowing blue trophy stood on a table. Everyone cheered again, giving another thunderous round of applause. But I noticed the Goblet's flame had started to rise again. "What the hell?" I said aloud.

Suddenly, the flame turned red once more. Dumbledore whipped around, approaching it cautiously. The flame shot high and angry, expelling one more name. The hall was filled with hushed whispers as it floated down slowly, Dumbledore snatched it from the air quickly. He mumbled something, shocked. I strained to hear, but he quickly repeated himself. "Harry Potter."

There was a shocked silence, Dumbledore spun around trying to locate him in the crowd. "Harry Potter!" He bellowed, it was the closest I had ever heard Dumbledore to true anger.