Chapter 8: The Yule Ball

The next week was a blur as I tried to numb myself to the world. I didn't want anyone to find out how truly heartbroken I was. It felt like all the colour had been drained from my life. Any wisp of happiness tainted.

I went on like everything was fine. I played pranks with the twins, testing out their puking pastilles on unsuspecting second years, and causing a little chaos in classes. I talked excitedly with Angelina about the ball, and how we would surely dance all night.

Lee Jordan ended up asking me to the ball, which, he clarified 'only as friends' many times. That obviously didn't feel great, that he needed to clarify how he would never have a thing for me, that many times. But it was fine. I would go to the Yule Ball with one of my best friends. On the outside, everything was perfectly fine.

But on the inside, that was a different story. My heart broke a little more each time Angelina mentioned Fred, and how romantic he was, and how it was so darling that he got a matching purple tie. I headed to bed late most nights, occupying myself for as long as I could by pouring myself into my school work. If you never stop going, and you don't have a moment to breathe. Then you can't think on things. So everything is as fine as you seem. And after exhausting my brain, I would be too tired to cry. So I would crash, and do it all over again.

Hermione tried to check on me, privately of course. But everything was fine, I would assure her. And say I got myself worked up over nothing. It was just a passing fancy, and I got butt hurt. Nothing more. And I was happy for Angelina.

The last thing I wanted in the world was to lose Fred over a fucking dance. I would never jeopardize our friendship like that. So everything had to be fine. I would block out my feelings, and focus on being friends. And everything would be normal.

For the two weeks leading up to the ball, everything was in fact fine and normal. My feelings for Fred I kept buried, they only sprang up when I got lost in my thoughts. And the pain at the thought of him dancing with Angelina only worsened.

I hoped I would hold out for the ball, but the walls I had haphazardly built were crumbling. And I was afraid that seeing them dance at the ball would be the final blow before they tumbled down. I would try to be strong, for Fred's sake. He was clearly into Angie. But there is only so much heartbreak a girl could take.

*****

Finally, it was the night I was positively dreading. December twenty fourth, nineteen ninety-four.

I felt nauseous all day, the thought of going to the Yule Ball made me anxious. I wanted nothing more than to just go to bed that night and cry. But I had to put on a strong face, for Fred.

So, after classes ended, I followed Angelina to the dormitory. I played along, squealing about the dance the whole way there. Then, I helped her get ready to dance with the man of my dreams.

We did our makeup, complimenting each other's skills as we went, helping when needed. Angelina adorned her hair with a purple headband, and put on a purple necklace to match her dress. I chose to curl my hair, burning myself multiple times on my curling iron. I didn't wear any jewelry, opting to keep it plain.

Angelina stepped into her dress, and asked for help doing it up. I zipped up Angelina's dress, and she admired herself in the mirror for a moment, her eyes glistening. "You look beautiful, Angie, Fred's gonna be floored." I whispered softly, wrapping her in a hug.

She hugged me back tightly, I couldn't help but think this is probably how she would be hugging Fred tonight. "Thank you." She whispered back, "Now, it's your turn!"

I looked at my dress hanging up. It once had called to me, a beautiful beacon just begging to be worn. Now it seemed limp and lifeless, the vibrant colour I had once thought it to be seemed dull. I held back tears as I pulled it on over my head. The dress constricted itself to my body, and I stepped in front of the mirror.