Chapter 10: New Years Eve

The end of Christmas break was drawing near, but we still had a few days before the other Gryffindors came back from their holidays. So luckily, we still had the common room all to ourselves for New Years Eve.

Fred managed to swipe two bottles of firewhiskey from the kitchen after dinner when the house elves had been scrambling to clean the kitchens. He brandished them proudly as he strutted into the common room, giving me a swift kiss as he set the bottles down. "We're going to have a lot of fun tonight." He declared.

Ron, George, and Harry cheered, Ron looked particularly thrilled. While Hermione scoffed and gave a disapproving look at the amber liquid. "Honestly Ronald! We're fourteen, do you need to engage in that?"

"Hermione, it's not like I'm going to do anything stupid, we're the only ones here!" Ron laughed.

"Everything you do is stupid." She muttered, opening a book with a considerable amount of force.

I bit back a laugh as Ron gaped. His mouth opening and closing like a fish as he tried to find something in retort. I knew there was more to that jab than what it seemed, Hermione was still upset about what happened at the Yule Ball.

"C'mon, Hermione, lighten up!" Harry said awkwardly, trying to break some of the tension.

"Yeah, like Ron said, we're the only ones here. You've got no one to impress. Why not try a sip or two?" Fred suggested innocently, but a wicked smile stretched across his face.

I decided to play along. "Yeah, we're all planning on being too drunk to remember tonight anyway. How would we know if you spoke with improper grammar while slightly tipsy?"

Hermione tried to glare at me, but she couldn't hide her smile. I didn't push more, not wanting to pressure Hermione, just reminding her that this is a safe space.

Fred wasted no more time. He cracked open one of the bottles and poured us both a glass. I grabbed mine, "Cheers, darling," Fred said, clinking our glasses.

I took a deep sip, cringing slightly as the liquid burned down my throat. A warmth spread through me, I coughed slightly at the firewhiskey. Fred chuckled and snaked an arm around my waist, he led me to the couch in front of the fire and pulled me down so I was sitting sideways on his lap, despite my protests. Our faces were mere inches apart, a faint smile was on Fred's face as he looked at me. I could hear Ron and George squabbling over the liquor, but I was focused solely on Fred.

The position we were in created an intimacy I wasn't used to with Fred. I was hyper aware of Fred's arm, still wrapped tightly around my waist, his hand grasped my hip, fingers digging in slightly to the soft flesh. My arm was draped over his shoulders, unintentionally keeping him closer to me. Without breaking eye contact, Fred raised his glass of fire whiskey to his lips and drank. A blush rose on my cheeks, I was well aware of what lay beneath my legs, but tried hard not to think about it, I didn't want to let Fred know how much of an effect he was having on me.

I was snapped from my thoughts of where this situation might go had the others not been there by a loud crash. I whipped around at the noise, fragments of glass lay on the carpet beneath George and Ron. George dangled the bottle of firewhiskey high above Ron's head. "Now look what you've done, Ronald!" George scolded.

Thankfully, it had only been an empty glass that had broken. "You nearly gave me a heart attack, I thought you wasted the firewhiskey I worked so hard to get." Fred laughed.