part 2

The pirate — Bak Haseong — obviously had a reputation. By the reaction of the townsman, I guessed he was not someone to be taken lightly. Now that he was a vampire, I couldn't imagine what he would do with the gifts he had at his disposal.

I suppose that was why I was following him down the abandoned cobblestone road, twenty feet behind, watching his back. Not to mention he was mysterious and exciting and I hadn't done anything except weave baskets and ponder the meaning of life for the last decade. Perhaps I wanted to see where this would end.

"Bang Chan," he said suddenly, not turning, "you seem to know the area. Where might I find a wharf around here?"

"After your... incursion back at the shop, I don't know if I should tell you."

"How much harm could I do?"

"We both know how much."

He spun around, walked backward as he scanned me. His voice was wry. "As far as you know, I'm just an unlucky scoundrel, left with nothing, not even dry clothes." He abruptly veered off course. "Hm, now that I think of it."

"What—?"

He smashed the butt of his bayonet through a boutique window and hopped inside.

I rubbed my temples. "Most of these doors are probably unlocked, you know."

"I know."

I looked inside — and quickly turned away as I saw he was changing.

I cleared my throat. "I'm not naive and you're not discreet. Plus, pirates aren't known for being the most harmonious people."

"I tried harmony once. Much too boring."

A playful shove on my arm. He walked past me, dressed in a jacket that hung down to his ankles and a billowing white shirt hugged to his torso with a waistcoat. I couldn't deny how attractive he was, his face, his body, everything. Was I staring?

I looked up. "What was the question?"

"I was asking directions to the wharf. But if you still refuse to answer because I might do something untoward, I'm sure can find it on my own."

"Well, will you be doing something untoward?"

"Definitely."

"Then I refuse to answer."

He stopped, took a deep breath through his nose and then recalibrated east. "Water is this way, isn't it?"

I sighed. "Yes. Why are you looking for a wharf?"

"Where else am I supposed to find a ship?"

"You're going to steal a ship?"

"I'm going to borrow a ship. Except I won't bring it back."

I rubbed my temples again. This turn of events was boding worse for humanity every step he took. "I guess I shouldn't have been expecting anything different. Why can't you just acquire a ship by legitimate means? Why must it always be take take take? And why—?"

I didn't realize he had stopped — I bumped into him and stumbled backward. He just smiled, seeming to take a kind of delight in my bearing, or lack thereof.

"Chan, what are you doing here?"

"Here?"

"With me. I saw your shack on the beach, yet still, you're following me."

"I don't think you understand the gravity of your new... status."

"What status is that?"

"You are a vampire. You're more dangerous than you realize."

"I don't think I believe you. You're here for another reason. What might it be? Curiosity? Control? Sheer boredom? Or maybe you find me alluring."

My mouth fell open. I closed it and crossed my arms. "Maybe I'll go back to my shack and forget you entirely."

He walked backward down the road, eyes on mine. I followed.

"Whatever your reason is," he said, smiling, "you're here now, leaving your home behind. You might as well tell me about yourself."

"Uh. I am... Bang Chan."

"Something more than your name?"

"I am... unsure as to why this is relevant."

"Alright, since you're not answering, I will tell you what I've observed so far. I think you are cautious, methodical. You live based on need, not want — anything extra is an indulgence."

"Still not sure why this is relevant."

"You have a moral code — you don't eat humans, you didn't want to sully the forest with violence. You overshare and say things plainly, which leads me to believe you're not socially inclined, intentionally or otherwise."

"If this is a game you insist on playing, then it's only fair I get a turn. You, sir, are... not very nice."

He laughed. "I'm wounded!"

Then, abruptly, he dropped his sack of ammunition, his bayonet as well, and bowed to me.

"Please accept my apology, Mr. Bang, I am remorseful."

"I can't tell whether you're pulling my leg or not."

He straightened out and moved toward me. His eyes were sharp like knives and red like blood. "Why would I lie to you?" He gently stole my hand, held it up to his lips as if he might kiss it. He walked a circle around me and I turned with him.

"Uh," I said.

He held my hand a second longer, let it fall and continued on his way. Naturally, I followed.

"Even with what I've gleaned, I would like to know more about you," he said. "As long as you insist on accompanying me, you might as well open up."

"I don't insist on accompanying you anywhere. But... could I?"

"If I'm being completely honest, I prefer having people around me. The more manpower, the better, right? Plus, couldn't hurt to have a guide to help me navigate my new status."

"Why exactly do you need manpower in the first place? You've been single-minded and stubborn this whole time — you have a plan, don't you?"

"Perhaps I do."

The dock was approaching, masts peeking over the buildings. I was nervous — not only because I knew a crime was about to be committed. This was where I had to make a decision. I couldn't keep following him, mindlessly, just because I wanted to. His sights were set somewhere in the wide world, somewhere it wouldn't be easy to come back from.

He walked across a spindly bridge and onto the docks. The ships berthed in front of us varied in size, each flying a fisherman's flag and none very menacing. I wondered what he was looking for, and then he answered my question.

"I don't smell gunpowder in the air... blast it."

"If you're looking for a pirate ship, maybe a fisherman's wharf isn't the best place to find it."

"A pirate ship is just a ship with a pirate on it. Besides, there's always the opportunity to level up once we're on the water."

He stopped, appraising a large craft bobbing in the water. "This one should be adequate." He swiftly drew his bayonet, slashed through the ropes mooring the ship to the dock, leapt and landed on the taffrail above.

I stood with my arms at my sides. Away from the calm of my little cove, I hadn't expected uncharted waters to be so tempting. I didn't even care that the little I owned had probably blown away in the wind by now.

"Well?" he said, an invitation.

I took the leap, twenty feet into the air and onto the wooden deck.

"Welcome aboard." Haseong clapped me once on the shoulder, walked over to the mast and let the sail fall with a flick of his hand. He continued to the helm, taking the eight-pointed wheel and spinning it to the side. The ship began to drift away from the wharf, toward an open and uninterrupted sea.

Good Lord, what was I doing?