part 4

The last time I had found myself at sea, I'd been on my way from Europe to Greenland in 1738, travelling as a guest on a kind fisherman's boat. I'd spent most of the journey below deck, sucking on ginger root to ease my stomach. The swaying, speeds and odour of fish totted up to an unfortunate mélange.

I'd sailed many times since then, and every time I felt more and more at home. The ocean was just as beautiful a part of earth as fluttering cherry blossoms or the sky at sunset. I stood at the very edge of the bow, arms spread and eyes shut, listening closely as if the wind was whispering to me.

"Chan, come over here," Haseong said from behind me.

"Why?"

"Open your eyes."

I looked into the distance. Land was approaching, a beach curved around the mouth of a cave. A ship twice as big as ours was sailing toward us, a flag of black billowing in the wind.

I stepped away from the bow, stood next to him behind the wheel. "Are we in danger? Or is that one of your friends?"

His lip curled. "None of these men are my friends. His name is Captain Eogeum Myung."

"His ship is quite... big."

"As is his crew. It's all a show. His father was a better pirate than he could ever be."

"If he's coming toward us, away from land... does this mean this key has been taken?"

"It's likely. I'll ask Myung who claimed it — though if it's him, he won't tell me. Those who have the keys might as well have a target on their forehead."

"So we're going to be speaking with him?" I pulled the swatch of silk out of my pocket and bit away at it.

"That isn't necessary," Haseong said. "We'll barely be close enough to hear each other. I'll tip my hat down if it makes you feel any better."

"You cannot lose your temper if they threaten us, alright?"

"Yeah yeah, I get it." He ribbed me. "Nervous to meet a pirate?"

I adjusted my shirt. "I've already met one. Nothing to be afraid of."

Eogeum Myung's ship came closer and closer. The crew were on deck, celebrating, slapping each other on the back. I could tell who captained the vessel; he was dressed lavishly, tall and wide, a chalice where the others had tankards.

Haseong headed to the stern, lowered the anchor, then walked starboard, leaning against the rail. Myung had been watching our ship, leery, curious. I saw recognition cross his face.

"Slow the ship," he whispered to a crewman. "Drop anchor."

The ship obeyed him, slowed across from us. Myung approached the edge, ringed fingers drumming against his chalice.

"Captain Bak," he called. "As I live and breathe. I thought you were dead. Though I suppose I should not have taken your 'co-captains' on their word."

"I'm sure they've said a lot about me." Haseong's voice was cold and flat. "I should have expected you to jump on the old man's fortune."

"As did you and your former crew — and now you and your... new one." Myung's eyes flitted over me. "Working with the hand you've been dealt, hm?"

"I assume this destination has treated you well," Haseong changed the subject. "Or are you celebrating failure?"

Myung polished off his drink before answering. "You always were one to jump to conclusions. Quite the contrary, it's for morale. Old Ahn Kwangsun claimed the key — him and that harlot on his arm."