Chapter 16

Ellie stirred in her sleep and suddenly opened her eyes. The room was rather dark though some day light was piercing under the curtains that covered their window. Still blinking a little with heavy eyelids, she turned her face to read the time. The clock on her nightstand flashed 10.30 am in huge red letters. A patter on the window could be heard. It was raining, she could tell by the incessant drumming tone against the glass. That type of weather invited to stay in bed, especially if you had been out at night as they had and thus, Ellie pulled the covers up and tried to turn around but she was unable to do so. Chris had an arm over her waist and a leg over hers, entrapping her body. Ellie rolled her eyes and smiled softly and remained in the same position but closed her eyes to try to sleep a little more.

Chris's slight snore and the constant beat offered by mother nature were distracting though and Ellie opened her eyes in the next few seconds. She elbowed Chris softly to make him turn and he did so, setting her free and stopping the snore. Still, there was nothing she could do about the rain. The noise was deafly for the rain was falling incredibly strong. Ellie decided to leave the bed because she knew she wasn't going to back to sleep. Carefully, she pulled the covers away and slid out of bed gently without disturbing Chris who was profoundly asleep. Once up, she pulled the covers up again and tucked it well around him for he was sleeping completely naked. She put her slippers on her feet and then tip toed out of the bedroom towards the bathroom.

First thing, Ellie sat on the toilet for her morning pee, flushing the toilet right after. Then, she washed her hands and grabbed the rubber band that was near the glass that had their toothbrushes in it. Ellie rolled her hair in a massive bun and imprisoned it with the black rubber band. She felt her stomach roaring, warning her it was time to have something to eat, but she needed to wash away the sleep from her face. For a few seconds, Ellie stared at her image in the mirror, noticing the huge black bags under her eyes. She needed to take care of it. She opened the door of the cabinet and grabbed her detox scrubber and washed her face with it. Ellie scrubbed her face in circular movements so her skin could profit properly of the treatment. Two minutes later she rinsed her face and dried it with one of the white towels hanging right next to their basin. Then, she grabbed the eye revival mask and applied some under her eyes. That would help reduce the bags and the dark shadows. Like that, she went out of the bathroom and headed to the kitchen.

As passing by their living room, Ellie looked at the windows and realized it was raining incredibly strong. It seemed like a shower was running over their windows. Only water could be seen running down over it and the view was hardly perceptible. It was uplifting though, the sound of heavy rain outside contrasting with the comfort inside the apartment. Seattle was incredibly cold at that time of the year and yet inside their apartment was incredibly warm.

At the kitchenet, she grabbed the milk from the fridge and the cereals from the pantry. Then, she grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and poured some cereals in it and then poured some milk over it. Ellie returned the cereals and the milk to their places and opened the drawer to grab a spoon and went to the window to see better outside. She liked to do that, to have breakfast while watching the street if Chris wasn't with her. Usually, if they had the time, they would sit to have breakfast together and they'd talk. As she stopped by the window, she noticed how the sky was tar black. People outside, running from one side to another trying to escape the shower that was falling. Some were adventurous enough to have stepped outside without an umbrella, those were the ones running faster which caused Ellie to giggle alone as she chewed a spoon of her brown cereals. There were puddles near the sidewalks and in the park. The roofs of the cars danced with sprays. The sound of rain was beautiful if one would stop to hear how it sounded different depending on it was tapping and soothing even. Ellie stayed by the window and let the rain drops entertain her ears until she finished her morning meal.