14 - I Love You, Emmy!

Emily spent that night briefing the Titans on everything going on. After a long rant about each of her dreams, she begged them desperately to help her out, going as far as motioning to kneel when Hank nonchalantly scoffed, not meaning any harm. Even when they tried to lift her, she just kept fighting back and repeating "I need to find my father, I need to find my father". It wasn't until Hank himself bent a knee before her and said he was game if she was that she let herself get hoisted up. They must have thought she was crazy and agreed to help out of pity but she was too desperate to care.

She hadn't expected them to help at all. None of it made sense, not a single word. Jason was completely right. He hadn't exactly been gentle about it, what with him insinuating that she was immature and naive, everything she was trying not to be now that she was training so hard to prove herself as a valuable teammate. That hurt her enough without the sight of him and Rose walking out of the Tower, together.

She continued to muse to herself as she got ready for bed so they could head out early the next day, jumping slightly when she heard a knock on the door. Dammit, Emily Deborah Brookes! Superheroes aren't this frail, stop it! She walked over, stumbling back when she heard Connor curse through the door. He learnt it from somewhere and she couldn't help but pin it on Rose. The silver-haired swordswoman was certainly leaving an impression on him and Emily was a little worried about that. He, like her, wasn't the most street smart person and she resolved to meet him later and ask if Rose was being too much of a bother. It was her fault he had to follow her around all the time, anyway so she could always ask Dick to call it off.

"I'm so angry I could hit you right now but..." His eyes softened for a second and he sighed to himself. "She needs me. Plus, a punch from me could well kill you and I won't do that to a teammate and possible future friend."

"Connor, it's good youre here cos I was actually just thinking- Jason?" Came Emily's drowsy voice when she unlocked her door for them. As Connor said a quick greeting, his baby blue eyes darting towards the elevator, she lost all traces of sleepiness when she blinked twice to ensure her vision was correct and still saw Jason being held up by a fistful of his shirt.

"Take care of him for me, will you? I'll go get Rose, I just... hope she isn't in too much trouble right now..." Because of him. He couldn't understand why Emily had to get herself involved with a person like Jason. She was incredibly kind but their relationship was putting a strain on Rose's happiness.

Maybe he would talk to her instead since Jason was of no use in bringing Rose some of her spark back. Later, he assured himself, running to the end of the hall and to the elevator without stopping to grab a jacket. It was one of the coldest days in the fall but he felt warm enough, especially when he used his superspeed to go through all the closest bars. He finally caught a glance of Rose's hair in one and picked her up right before she punched someone sitting way too close in the face, rushing out of there as she hollered insults at everyone in the room.

"Rose...? Dammit, Rose, you aren't a lightweight so that must mean- how much did that idiot let you have? They didn't do anything to you, right, Ro? Because if they did, we're going right back in there right now."

"Huh? What?" He realised she was shaking and rushed into a store, grabbing a leather jacket. Once he passed the threshold, the sound of the alarm instantly told him his mistake. Her giggle had him both frustrated and enamored. On a regular day, he didn't mind explaining to the police that it was all an accident but Rose was with him, shaking and he couldn't risk being taken away from her so he wrote IOU on their counter with a marker he didn't know was permanent and swept her off her feet, zooming off to the Tower.

During the short run, she wrapped her arms around his neck and snuggled into his chest, the unfamiliar affection from Rose coming as a shock to her friend. However, he only worried that it was making him feel a strange sensation within that seemed to come up more frequently when Rose was near whether she smiled, laughed or just looked at or spoke to him. He felt like a disaster at these moments and he wanted to tell her but when he asked Gar what it was, the green-haired brought up the possibility that he had a crush on her. He had denied it then, repeatedly mentioning that she had a boyfriend but it wasn't shutting off regardless of her status, no matter how hard he tried.