author's note/trigger warning

THIS BOOK HAS BEEN PIRATED BY NOVELHD. PLEASE DON'T READ IT THERE, YOU GUYS; THEY SUCK SO MUCH BUTT.

Alright, before we start: TRIGGER WARNING. This book will contain some queer slurs. These aren't meant to make anyone uncomfortable beyond the point of recognising that - in my experience especially - these terms are all too prevalent in the daily lives of our queer youths. I'm not excusing it, and I am by no means attempting to normalise this behaviour. Really, straight people using these words should make you uncomfortable, because there are some words that non-marginalised folks shouldn't use in reference to marginalised people. So yes - with these slurs come homophobia. Just know that this IS a happy story. I'm also just an angsty, awkward child. SO.

Also, this book will make several nods towards sex. There will be zero mature explicit scenes, but I'm a queer woman who hasn't read any YA that talks about sex, and while I know these works exist, there should be more. I shouldn't have to seek it out. ("Camp" by Lev A. C. Rosen is spectacularly queer sex-positive though. Check it out!) If these nods makes you uncomfortable, I completely understand, and will post a warning before any chapter that might contain some heavier scenes. Again, nothing will go into detail. (We all know I'm slightly angsty fluff girl, not a smut girl, lmao.) I just wanted to be upfront - so, if it makes you uncomfortable, don't hesitate to let me know, okay? This is something new for me, and I don't know how everyone feels about it. Thank you.

Also, an ADDITIONAL NOTE: in this book, one of the main characters is Latina. Elliot is Puerto Rican-American and biracial. When writing this, I was reading solely Latine works (and some White works with Latine characters). My intention with OCEAN BLUE was to write about chronic pain, finding acceptance, and a portion of the queer experience very near and dear to my heart. And as a queer teen with chronic pain, that was my place. It is far less my place to write about the experiences of a Puerto Rican-American girl (whose feelings about her mother's country were very much aligned with mine and my native country, feelings I have sene echoed in the works of Latine authors but still cannot claim to translate well), and it's even less so my place to write about a closeted lesbian Puerto Rican-American girl.

I'm a stickler for good representation, and while I don't believe I've put bad or harmful representation in this book, I also know that this representation could be a lot better. Just because my comfort books at the time featured a characters similar to Elliot doesn't mean that Elliot, as a main character, should have necessarily shared in these. Research can only account for so much.

I've left OCEAN BLUE behind writing-wise (for now), but if anything ever goes on with this draft, I plan on hiring sensitivity readers to ensure that this book is doing its best to accurately portray the queer Latina experience; just because I know the standardized queer experience and am familiar with variations of the Latine experience does not mean I am an authority to speak on the intersection of the two of them. At the end of the day, all my voice can do is potentially drown out the voices of legitimately Hispanic authors; just because I'm writing queer fiction doesn't mean that White privilege doesn't affect me or my works. 

So, with that being said, please leave inline comments HERE (on this line, this one right here!) with suggestions of Latine books, both on and off Wattpad. I'll post a few to get started!! I always want to see the lifting of marginalized voices--and in this case, I think sharing the stories of actual Latine authors (whether or not they're writing about their experience; marginalized authors don't need to write about their marginalization in order for us to listen to them, homies) should be a priority here.

Thanks for listening!

AUTHOR'S NOTE TIME thanks

Okay so like, IMAGINE ME UPLOADING SOMETHING TO WATTPAD

It's been wayyyyy too long, and just, I am so sorry, you guys. I've missed you all tons, and I'm really looking forward to being back. I know that I have a reputation for responding to every single comment, but it's become increasingly difficult. My notifications keep overwhelming me, so while updates will be regular (btw when do you most prefer updates asking for a friend thanks), don't expect I'll be able to answer every single comment - although I promise to try! (Just, like, junior year is so hard.)

For those of you who were here for DRY SPELL, welcome back! We have a new title, Alyssa has a POV, and we're a little more gayer (in subtler ways) (maybe, or maybe not; that just felt cool to say).

I'm sorry I ducked out on this. There was just a lot of pressure riding on this last draft, which was supposed to be fun. People whom I really respect and look up to were reading what I knew wasn't my best work, and there were too many (really amazing honestly you guys rock) comments, and everything was just too much. So, I've taken a break, and now, I'M HERE!

I reeaaally hope you guys enjoy OCEAN BLUE. Like, really really really. This was so much fun to write, and I am so excited that you guys finally get the chance to read what began on October 7th and finished today.

Enjoy!

C O P Y R I G H T

Copyright © 2019 by Olivia L. Vaughn (aka Olivaughn).
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the author
except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.