Chapter 20 ~ Another Happy Ending

I finally let go, and Nathaniel pulled me away slightly so I had a better view of his entire face. I choked on a happy sob upon seeing his hazel eyes again. I didn't think I'd get to see them again.

"I love you!" I blurted out.

Nathaniel's eyes widened, before softening and breaking out into a huge grin. I've only ever said I love you a handful of times, whenever the mood felt absolutely right. Sentimental isn't normally my thing.

"I love you too," he breathed as he ruffled my hair with his thumb.

His eyes turned to look at Charlie, and I spun myself around as well to look at the little blonde.

"Oh so you're Emi's boyfriend!" he realized with a bright smile.

"Emi?" Nathaniel snickered, and my face grew red. I could literally feel his smirk on my back. "Uh yeah that's me. I'm Nathaniel by the way, and you must be Charlie."

"Mhm. So you promise to take care of her?"

"Of course Charlie. She's in good hands."

Again, I could just FEEL his smirk.

"Oh I get it!" Katelyn laughed lightly.

Nathaniel cupped me against his chest, standing to his full height. With his free hand, he reached out and Charlie deposited Katelyn into his palm. He brought his hands together, and Katelyn immediately scooted closer to me.

I looked over Nathaniel's fingers, peering down at Charlie with a thankful smile and a little wave.

"Thanks kid. For everything."

Charlie beamed up at me, also offering a small wave.

"By Emi! I'll miss you!"

"I'll miss you too," I said softly as Nathaniel turned around, heading back inside the sports car.

The engine started just as he sat down, making Katelyn and I jump.

"Oh sorry about that little girlies," a familiar voice sniggered.

"Chad! Oh how I missed you and your dumb blonde locks!" I sneered playfully.

He looked down at us from the corner of his eyes with a small smile.  He was about to say something, but I cut in first.

"But seriously Chad, thanks."

He turned a light shade of pink at the cheeks, before coughing and muttering a small "whatever" under his breath. He set the car in motion and left the quiet suburban neighbourhood, merging onto a main road.

"You know I helped too!" a faintly feminine voice called from the backseat.

Nathaniel lifted me up by my waist, keeping Katelyn safe in his other hand, and moved me over so that I could see who was speaking. Aiden and another boy with dark skin and ridiculously perfect hair sat in the back. I waved to Aiden with a small, somewhat awkward smile, and he gave me a two fingered salute in return.

The other boy, who I guessed was Adham, beamed at me with star struck eyes, not unlike his dangly star earrings.

"Hi I'm Adham, aka Chad's handsome man! Ah omg you are just the cutest thing! Nathaniel hold on to this one," he giggled.

"Uh Émelie, but I assume you already knew that," I laughed lightly, trying to distract from my slight discomfort at being called 'cute'. "Nice to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you."

"Oh you did, did you?" he smirked as his eyes turned to look at the front driver mirror.

I heard Chad grumble slightly from the front seat, and I couldn't help my own chuckle at his embarrassed expression.