20. i'm out of my mind

***

Amir Karim raises both eyebrows at me.

It's his signature look, really. Dark eyebrows flying to his forehead, eyes curious, the cacophony of the cafeteria's clattering nearly blurring into the background.

"Did you stay at Lucas' last night?" He's curious, really. And rightfully so, given that the shit-eating smirk on my lips is more than obvious. Amir was definitely not planning on asking before, but the smug expression painting my face got to him at a certain point.

"Wouldn't you like to know—?" I start, leaning forward.

"—weather boy," Dani Romano finishes, the smug grin on her lips most definitely matching mine.

Amir rolls his eyes, a chuckle breaking from his lips as he tosses a fry at my face, then another. Riya joins in, a barrage of fries coming flying my way. With her direct aim, I manage to nag a few between my teeth, Riya sending me an approving nod, and Dani clapping like a little girl at her fifth birthday party.

"Oh, me next!" Dani exclaims, Riya grinning as both her and Amir shift their aim towards her. Meanwhile, I shake my head, my eyes drifting around the cafeteria. And this time, I don't try to pretend that I'm not looking for him.

I always am, anyway.

When my eyes inevitably catch onto Lucas Garcia, his eyes meet mine. He's laughing, most likely at something Ellie's said. My thumb brushes over my bottom lip. Somehow, it still tingles. Somehow, it's still really fucking hard to comprehend that Lucas Garcia actually kissed me the other day.

When Lucas meets my gaze, the softest grin rises to his lips. And I'm not extremely ashamed to say my heart skips. I can't tell whether or not to be mad at him for making me feel this way, so all I do is stare unashamedly from across the cafeteria, a blush painting Lucas' cheeks in tints of pink.

"Hey." With that one word, my gaze is drawn back to the table where Riya's staring back at me.

"You haven't checked out a guy in a solid month," her eyebrows crease, "are you doing okay?"

I roll my eyes as an amused grin tugs at her lips. "I'm not that thirsty."

At least, not for every male within a four-mile-radius. My attention has been stolen by one, lately. 

Daniella coughs at my statement, and I give her a kick underneath the table. One that she returns eagerly.

My gaze returns to the cafeteria, to Lucas' table. Lucas rises from his seat, saying something to the GSA who are seated around him. His arms gently swing at his sides, and he sends a glance my way, a little head jut.

It only takes that nearly imperceptible sign for me to rise to my feet, murmuring some random excuse to my friends that doesn't really make much sense, but to which they nod to in response, letting out easy laughter.