1 // Shut Up

You know you sound so dumb,
So maybe you should shut up.

•   •   •

Tuesday morning.

"Hey! Watch where you are going!"

"How much more are you copying?!"

"There's more fresh coffee in the break room!"

The office was a bustle of traffic in which people were rushing left and right. People hid behind towers of pearly white paper as they blindly maneuvered their way through the space. Men in suits sat at varying desk spaces as the others were occupied by a few women with their simplistic updos. People were heard yelling and talking on the phone, some laughter coming from different cubicles, and the random conversations between coworkers. The space seemed vast and it seemed to expand for a long while, desks neatly organized in rows, all inside their corresponding cubicles.

It was loud, like many offices in the city. Workers were constantly rushing around as bright fluorescent lighting casted down on their skin. The office space had surprisingly high ceilings considering that they were in a tall skyscraper building, most office spaces like this would have your average height ceilings, but a business with a high profile like this one needed ceilings to match. It was just a typical Tuesday in the office with everyone busy at work, except the workers who could be heard laughing from inside the break room.

The week had just started, only on the second day, but many people had already commented about their deepest desire for the end of the week. One of the men in the break room was a young man, freshly 30-year-old Damien Hass, who lounged on the couch in a white dress shirt with black tie and pants. He stood up from the couch and continued his laughing fit as he reached down to pick up his black blazer from the small coffee table in front of him.

"Okay everyone, I better be going back to work, I have that new hire I have to train today. Ugh, you all better wish me luck, god knows how annoying they will be. You know how annoying new hires can be, but as assistant supervisor, I got to do my job... unless you would like to, Noah?!" Damien questioned as he turned back while standing under the doorway.

"Yeah... man, I don't think I'll be doing that. Unless it's a pretty girl, then I'll switch jobs with you for the day if you want me to." Noah laughed, his smile causing the skin around his eyes to crinkle a bit as his pearly white teeth shined on full display.

The company saw many people come in and start jobs all the time. The company they currently found themselves in was ever growing, and with their growing business, jobs opened up constantly. This was amazing for the workplace as it meant more faces to meet and help out, but no one ever really wanted to commence with training new employees.

"If that would be the case, do you really think I would pass up the opportunity to be with a pretty lady all day? I don't think so." Damien replied as he turned back around and walked out of the area.

Noah, the tall, lanky, young man waved off his coworker with a grin on his face. Many other workers sitting in the lounge chairs also offered a small wave to the day's new trainer, while other workers in the kitchenette area or dining tables kept on with their own situations.

Damien walked out into the area full of small cubicles and did his best to stay out of everyone's way, even though most of the workers themselves attempted to stay out of his way the best they could. Everyone at the office was super sweet and kind. This mentality was shared by everyone in the office, including himself, but Damien was known to be a little demanding sometimes so some people tried to stay out of his way as best they could. Being the supervisor of the department could be exhausting, so sometimes Damien would be known to lose his temper a bit. Taking control and getting things done on time was super important to him, but no one really hated him for it—if anything it was a bit inspiring to see a young man take his job so seriously.