Chapter 4.

AZALEA CRIED FOR the first time in... forever. The last time she remembered crying was the day she was banished. That day, some gnomes found her and settled her into a small hut where she curled up on a mat and sobbed her heart out. Hours later, she heard whimpers and found a Dire Wolf, almost as tall as her, at the door of her hut. The Wolf curled up next to her and the two laid there for hours. Azalea named the Wolf 'Elvy,' meaning protector of Elves.

   Now, they were in the same position. Azalea curled up on a mat, Elvy next to her, licking her tears away.

   But they kept coming anyway.

   Azalea kept playing the conversation in her head. She kept thinking that she would be in a much better situation if she had just told them. But she couldn't.

   ARRIVING AT EXILLIUM the next morning felt like the most exhausting thing that Azalea had done. She barely registered that Techno-guy listened to what she said. She heard bits and pieces of the conversation Four had with the Coached. The gist of it was that Four convinced the coaches that "the greatest power comes from showing mercy. Especially to those who may not deserve it."

   The rest of the day was very long and hot and sweaty as they practiced body temperature regulation. Azalea didn't even bother thinking of her Happy Place, or try to regulate her temperature. She ignored Red's insulting comments and went through the day in a daze.

   THE NEXT DAY Exillium brought them to the side of a rocky mountain, where a gaping hole granted entrance into a dark cavern. The Coaches led them inside, and they walked farther and farther until the damp, black air blotted out the light.

   "Today you'll be improving your night vision," the Coaches said in unison, their voices echoing off the cavern walls. "Let your eyes adjust and your mind will do the rest."

   It was difficult to see anything, but Azalea heard uneven, fast breathing beside her and felt determined to find out who it was.

   Her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness and everything looked like it was tinted blue.

   Azalea looked to her side and saw a girl with purple handprints on her cloak and four ability pins.

   "Are you afraid of the dark?" Azalea whispered.

   It took a while for Four to answer.

   "I'm afraid of things that use darkness to hide," she told her.

   "Like?" Azalea asked. "Monsters?" 

   "Monsters come in all shapes and sizes."

   "Like the ones behind the plague?" Azalea whispered, mostly to herself. She couldn't believe that it was only a few days ago that Tam had told her about the Council. It seemed like years ago.

   "What do you mean?" Four asked. "Did you know something?"

   "The Shade," Azalea said. "Ask him."

   Then, silence. Azalea thought the conversation was over but the Four asked, "What's your name?"

   "What's yours?"

   "I asked first."

   "Zee."

   "Sophie."

   THE REST OF the week continued like any other. Except, Azalea didn't have Tam and Linh to talk to. And the campus had moved to yet another location without the slightest trace of plague. She'd leaped to a glassy lake at the base of a snowcapped mountain to practice holding their breath, and two small tents had been added so they could change into wetsuits. Swim caps covered their hair and enormous goggles covered their faces, and they waded into the chilly water to float facedown and try to stay there. It was the most brutal skill taught.

   It took Azalea a longer time to relax. But she quickly drifted off to her Happy Place.

   Icy mountain.

   Starry sky.

   Alluring lights.

   Family.

   She could have continued but she needed to be average, like any other Wayward.

   But Sophie didn't know that, or maybe she didn't want to be average. She set a new record of Forty-Six minutes.

   Everyone changed into their regular uniforms and got their heads and leapt away. And Azalea noticed Sophie leap away with Tam and Linh.

   In her moment of distraction, someone grabbed her arm and said, "Azalea?"

   Her heart raced, it beat loudly in her ear.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   Azalea seemed to have stopped breathing. She registered that there were about ten people left, and she registered the voice that called her name.

   Keefe.

   Without hesitation, she pushed him onto the floor and ran.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   She ran far away, but not to be away from Keefe. It was for everyone to be away from her.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   Ba-bum.

   Boom.

   Violet light burst from her and she lifted her crystal up. She prayed and hoped that Keefe didn't follow. And she prayed and hoped that no one got hurt.

   Then she stepped into the light, closing her eyes so hard it hurt.