Chapter 13.

AZALEA HAD NEVER met two more loving parents before. Sophie teleported the traumatized group to Havenfield's pastures. As soon as Sophie called for help, Grady and Edaline came rushing out of the glittering crystal mansion.

   Within minutes Elwin had arrived to treat any burns, cuts, scrapes, and bruises they'd picked up during their various escapes.

   But nothing could ease the shock that had settled over everyone. No one wanted to answer the questions Grady and Edaline kept repeating.

   Then Alden arrived, looking equal parts worried and relieved, Sophie gave a brief summary of the havoc they'd caused in Ravagog.

   The adults' eyes seemed to widen with each dangerous detail. Their fear turned to fury when Sophie moved on to the further chaos with the Neverseen.

   Alden hailed the Council and asked them to send someone to extinguish the Everblaze and start cleaning up the toxins that would've leaked into the valley from the Ogres' tainted river. Then he hailed Mr. Forkle and told him the Collective should gather at Havenfield.

   Then Sophie, Fitz, and Biana told Alden that Alvar was part of the Neverseen and Azalea felt the burning urge to cry.

   The three Vackers clung to each other and cried. 

   Dex looked around hopelessly. Grady and Edaline looked just as helpless. Even Tam- who could've been smug, since he'd never trusted Alvar -wiped tears from his silvery eyes and held his sister's hand. Keefe, meanwhile, wandered away from the group, sitting with his back pointed in their direction. Azalea joined him.

   "Alvar was my hero," he whispered.

   "I know," Azalea said.

   "I'm such an idiot. Plus... " Keefe stared at the sky, which seemed too pink and peaceful as the sun slowly dipped below the horizon. "Last night, when Alvar slept in my room, he said I reminded him a lot of himself."

   "So?"

   "I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was trying to recruit me."

   "So what if you and Alvar are similar? It's our choices that define us. You'd never join them. And I don't know what's going on with mom, or dad, or why we're so involved in this-"

   "It's-"

   "No," Azalea stopped Keefe from answering. "I don't want to know."

   "What happened?" Della asked, sending everyone scrambling. She stood with all five other people? Azalea didn't know what to call them. Mr. Forkle was there, along with moving statue guy, floating clothes, snowwoman, and another guy with only parts of his body visible. They were the Collective, the decision makers of the Black Swan. 

   Alden cleared his throat. "There's much to discuss, my love. But we should go home." 

   Della shook her head. "Where's Alvar? What's going on—"

   "It's not what you think," Alden interrupted. "He's . . ." His voice faded away. Fitz and Biana couldn't seem to say it either. 

   Grady stepped forward. "Alvar has... lost his way. Like Brant. And Lady Gisela." 

   Azalea could see the moment of understanding dawn in Della's eyes. Grief turned to shock—then fury and confusion, all of the chaos spilling out in thick tears.

   "No," Della whispered. "He wouldn't . . ."

   "Oh, he would." Fitz's voice was black ice.