The begining

Disclaimer: I do not own any characters from the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' series/comics or anything else.

It was a dark and stormy night and the rain was pouring down onto the muddy forest floor. There is a small fox child lying down in the cold mud trying to shield itself from the downpour using the twin tails that had caused his loneliness since he was born.

Unknown to the little fox a large figure was walking slowly through the forest as well. It had eventually stumbled upon the area where the fox was and immediately stopped to look at the abnormal creature.

"And what are you?" The large figure asked himself as he stepped into the dim light of the clearing where the twin tailed fox was, revealing himself to be a large Mammoth in a white suit that was soaked from the terrible storm.

The large Mammoth continued to approach the small fox who was now shaking either from fear of the large creature or from the cold rain beating down on the two of them. The Mammoth then picked up the fox to inspect him and get a closer look of the two tails that the creature had.

"You are an intriguing little thing aren't you?" The Mammoth spoke silently to himself once again as he looked closely at the young fox.

As he looked at the cub he noticed its orange-yellow fur that was covered with clod mud and it's bright blue eyes that easily displayed that the fox fox was scared of him as it trembled in his hands and whimpered as it looked at the large Mammoth.

After he had inspected the fox for a short while he had begun to feel sympathy for him, knowing what it had been like to be abandoned and left to fend for oneself, he felt sorrow for the fox as he put one of his hands on his chest where a green gem was that had fussed with him and had made his people discriminate against him as well as prolong his life by many years.

"Come on let's get you somewhere safe." The Mammoth said quietly, as he dried the fox off a little with a dry part of his coat which caused the fox to let out a small squeak as it was rubbed dry.

He then brought the young fox to a small cabin he had rented to go looking for treasure on the outskirts of the forest and had set him down so he could go get some towels to dry the two of them off.

"What am I going to do with you?" The Mammoth asked himself as he dried off the fox.

He had never thought about what it would be like to take care of another living thing other than himself let alone be anything like a parent. He was thinking on how this would change his life and his ways but he eventually decided that the fox needed a home and someone to take care of him.

"I guess you'll be staying with me for awhile little guy, but what should I call you?" The Mammoth asked himself as he finished drying him and began to think of a name that would help him get over his deformity.

"I guess I'll call you Tails, Tails Mogul my son." Mogul said to himself as he hugged the child who had stopped shaking and started to relax in his embrace.

Time skip one week

Mogul had brought Tails to his mansion, even though that this was not where he intended to raise Tails since it was to far away from any town or city. Mogul had then started to gather some necessities so he could go and find a good place to raise the child. After he had finished packing he picked Tails back up and used some of the chaos energy in his emerald to teleport to a town that was near the Acorn Kingdom, and then after a few hours of searching he had managed to buy a house to raise the young fox in.

After Mogul had set everything up he thought back to Tails and wondered how long he was in that forest, so he walked over to the young fox who was currently sitting on the floor. He then tried to look into his mind which actually proved to be a slight challenge considering he was trying to read the mind of a child but he eventually got to his memories only to find nothing which meant that he was abandoned around when he was born with no memory of his parents. On the bright side this meant that Tails would think that Mogul is his father, even though that was bound cause some problems later but it still hurt him a little thinking about how someone could abandon their child like that.

"Don't worry Tails your going to be destined to do great things." Mogul told the little fox as he brought him into another hug.

Time skip 4 months

Mammoth had been raising Tails for four months now and Tails had started to learn how to speak, even if he wasn't able to make any complete sentences and was currently sitting on Mogul's lap and was listening to a book as Mogul read it aloud.

"Dada wa dat?" Tails asked as he pointed at a plane in the background of a picture in the book.

"That's a plane Tails." Mogul said with a chuckle at his son's happy attitude and his natural curiosity for things.

To Mogul Tails was always happy and cheerful and very rarely showed any signs of rage or annoyance with others so Mammoth had decided that it was time to put his evil ways behind him for awhile, or at least until Tails was older and could understand things better. Mogul then put Tails to bed and turned on the TV to watch the news and was surprised that he saw the king making an address and declaring war with the Robotnik Empire after they had attacked several of the Acorn Kingdom's towns that were far away from the kingdom.

"This seems to be a problem, I wonder how the king will handle it?" Mogul asked himself as he continued to watch with peeked curiosity.