Chapter Three - Shoto

"I'm falling apart right in front of your eyes but you don't even see me" -Invisible

+++++

Shoto Todoroki had no idea who the boy with green hair was.

He had seen him a few times before but every time it was just a single glance before the boy turned and disappeared somewhere. Be it down an alleyway, onto a bus or in a crowd of people.

But this time the greenette didn't disappear.

He was just standing there.

Watching the cars drive by with an emotionless face.

What was going on in that head?

To Shoto he looked around 15. Maybe younger. And the glint in his eyes sent a chill down his spine. It was as if this boy had seen things. Things that Shoto couldn't even dream of. And just behind that terrifying look was a dullness. As if the boy had completely given up on life. And that scared Shoto just as much.

Shoto didn't know why, but he had the overwhelming desire to speak to the boy. And so he did.

''You should be careful. Those railings don't look safe.''

The green-haired boy turned around, a look of amusement on his face that then turned to shock.

''Me?'' He asked, his voice coming out hoarse before he cleared his throat and repeated the word, ''are you talking to me?''

''Yes.'' Shoto replied, his face frowning slightly, ''who else would I be referring to?''

''O-oh, it's just no one really notices me... interesting..."

''Why wouldn't they?''

''Oh...um...'' The boy replied before drifting into silence, shuffling his feet.

''What's your name?'' Shoto asked suddenly, breaking the uneasy silence.

''Uhm... Deku. They call me Deku.'' He answered, causing Shoto to widen his eyes a tiny bit. Deku? Doesn't that mean useless?

''What's your's?'' The greenette questioned, snapping Shoto out of it.

''Oh. Shoto. Shoto Todoroki. I'm a first year student at UA in the hero course.''

Deku twisted round so that he was facing Shoto completely, ''really? UA?'' He asked excitedly, that dullness now replaced by an excited glint. ''Is it good? Silly question. Of course it's good! It's UA! The best hero school in the world! I heard All Might is a teacher there this year! What's he like?! I bet he's just as much an amazing teacher as he is an amazing hero! And what about Eraserhead? Or Present Mic? Doesn't Midnight teach there too? Oh! Cementoss as well! And Snipe! There's so many awesome pro heroes! How many have you met? Who's your favourite? Mine's All Might! I've always wanted to be like him!''

Shoto gently raised his eyebrows, staring at the boy whos whole personality seemed to have changed with the utterance of a single sentence.

''I've met quite a few pro heroes,'' he answered before eyeing Deku's leg that seemed to have... gone through the railing?

''Is that your quirk?'' Shoto asked, pointing to Deku's leg which he quickly pulled out of the railing.

''Oh- oh y-yeah... it's- it's my quirk.'' Deku answered, stumbling over his words. He then added almost hurriedly, ''that's w-why not many people n-notice me. Because of m-my quirk.''

''Ah I see.'' Shoto answered. ''Do you happen to be Mirio Togata's little brother or something?''

Deku looked at him, confused, ''Mirio Togata? Sorry... I don't know who that is... why do you ask?''

''You're quirks are similar, he can also go through objects.''

''Oh,'' Deku answered simply.

Shoto looked at the boy questioningly, half wondering what he was doing up here all alone at this time of night. But then he remembered that he was also up here all alone at this time of night.

"Where do you live? I'll walk you back." Shoto stated.

"O-oh no you don't have to do that! I live quite far away... I-I'll walk you home though!" Deku stammered before realising what he said, "o-oh I mean- I mean only if you want me t-"

"It's fine." Shoto interrupted, surprising himself. Normal he would've politely declined the offer but for some reason the words that spilled from his mouth were those of agreement.

Deku looked up at him happily, "ok! Thank you Todoroki!" He smiled. It was such an innocent smile as well. The way his nose creased and his freckled cheeks moved caused Shoto to feel a tug at his heart.

But although the smile reached his eyes, it didn't completely mask the glint he had had earlier. The glint in his eyes that told Shoto he had seen things that no one else had seen.

Shoto felt something nagging at the back of his mind but he brushed it off.

Later, he would come to regret that.

In fact he would come to regret speaking to the boy at the railings at all.