t w o

Shiro and the boy continued to stare at each other

Shiro and the boy continued to stare at each other. Minutes go by, and neither said another word. 

Is he a mute? Shiro wondered. She was growing slightly uncomfortable under his gaze. 

"Can you speak?" She asked, her voice urging him to say something in return. "Are you a mute?" 

Is that rude to ask? She mused to herself. It's too late now I guess. 

For the first time, the boy moved. He shook his head as to answer her previous question. 

So what's the deal? She thought. She was thoroughly confused. Why won't he say anything?  

"Alright whatever, I'm not going to make you talk to me." She huffed. Be like that then. As the boy was sitting at the edge of the pond, she took a seat right next to him, joining him in watching the koi fish in the pond. 

Her mother had a fondness for koi fish. It was her pride and joy. Shiro watched as the black, gold and red variations of the koi fish freely swam in the large pond. To her delight, a black and gold mix swam up to her, as if it was asking for a pet. 

"Cute." She mumbled as she dipped her fingers into the pond. She felt the boys eyes back on her but she paid him no mind. She let the black and gold koi brush against her fingertips before it swam away to join its friends. She giggled. 

Shiro wished she had free time like this, she would have loved to spend time playing with the fish in the pond. 

After her birth, Shiro grew quickly. She also learned quicker than most children her age and despite her cursed technique being unpolished, it was impressive. Her father, desperate for recognition, was something beyond what her five year old brain could comprehend. Frankly, she didn't see the point of it. 

"Salmon." 

Hearing the voice of her quiet companion, Shiro's eyes lit up and looked over at him.

"Salmon?" 

He nodded and pointed to the red and black koi swimming around in a circle with a white and gold koi. 

"Ohh! Wow, that looks like fun." Shiro giggled, happy that the boy was speaking to her, as weird as the words may have been. 

"Hey look!" She pointed at an all white koi, "That one kinda looks like you." She grinned. 

"Katsuobushi" He shook his head and attempted to glare. However, being as young as he is, its rather difficult to provide a proper glare. 

"Hehe, I don't get what you're saying, but it does!" 

It has been a while since Shiro has talked this freely. Moreover, it's probably the first time, she has spoken to someone outside of family or family business. She liked it. It was fun talking to this mystery boy, despite her really being the only one talking. 

"Katsu!" Shiro's ears perked up in confusion as the feminine voice reached her ears. Katsu? 

She looked over at the boy and saw that he clearly recognized who it was. Her honey-hazel eyes followed his gaze over and she too recognized the woman. It was the same woman that was holding his hand earlier within the crowd. Maybe it's his mother.  

"Oh, curry rice." She said. Shiro couldn't see her face, but she could tell the woman was smiling. Her eyes were also kind and brought a warmth that she didn't know eyes could bring. 

"Salmon Salmon." The boy said. Shiro's eyes fell back to the boy and watched as he dipped his finger into the water. 

What's he doing? 

He started to use the water from the pond, to draw. Is he writing something? Shiro stared intently at his clumsy hand motion. 

I-n-u-m-a-k-i  He paused a bit before continuing. T-o-g-e

Toge Inumaki? 

Behind the two children, the woman's eyes were sparkling. Unbeknown to the two children  could barley contain how proud she was of her little boy.

"Is that your name?" Shiro asked.

Toge only nodded and pointed at himself, before pointing back at the water written words. 

"Carrot curry rice!" The woman exclaimed before putting her hands together. 

"Shiro, there you are!" Another voice joined the mix. Not too far away from the woman, was Shiro's mother. She still had her infant sister in her arms, and her previously neatly bun was starting to fall out of place. 

"Oh, hi, Inumaki-san" She greeted, when she noticed the woman in front of her. 

"Potato curry!" Toge's mother smiled. Or what Shiro interpreted as a smile. She couldn't really tell with half her face covered.

"Ah-h yes..." Shiro's mother trails off. It seems like she was used to Inumaki's quirky way of talking. 

Maybe mother knows why they talk like that

"Mother, this is my friend Toge" Shiro introduces. She looks over at Toge, who developed a slight pink blush on his cheeks. 

"S-Salmon" 

Shiro decided that she's guna take that response as an agreement. 

"That's great honey-" Shiro's mother starts. However, she was interrupted by the infant in her arms. "Oh, shhh Aya-chan shhhh" 

"Rice Curry Carrot" Toge's mom coos. She was enamored by the small human in Shiro's mother's arms and proceeded to hold her tiny baby hands. 

"Oh, I'm sorry" Shiro's mother smiles. "Inumaki-san, this is Aya, my youngest." 

"Curry Carrot" She says, before darting her eyes at the younger Inumaki and sighing. 

"Tuna Tuna!" 

"Hehe Potato Rice" 

It seems like the two were in their own conversation, as Shiro and her mother had entirely no idea what they were saying. 

"Madam, ojouu-sama, the prayers!" 

Oh right, the stupid prayers. Shiro scrunched her face. 

"Oh right!" Shiro's mother apologized to the Inumaki woman before turning back to Shiro, "We better hurry" 

Before following after her mother, Shiro turns around to meet Toge's eyes. "Come play with me again some day, will ya" 

Toge looked surprised, but only nodded at her words. "Salmon" 

"Bye Toge-chan" 

As the two Inumakis' watched the retreating forms of Shiro and her mother, the older Inumaki couldn't help but snicker. 

"Curry katsu hehe" 

"Tuna Mayo"