Silent Gaze

TW: MENTIONS OF SELF HARM AND PANIC ATTACKS! PLLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WHEN PROCEEDING.

5 days.

20 hours.

37 minutes.

28 seconds.

That's how long you were unconscious for, your peaceful expression residing on your soft features.

Reid never left once.

The nurses became accustomed to Reid's presence, even bringing him coffee occasionally. He always smiled politely and gave them a 'thanks', never fully focused on anything that wasn't you.

The uncomfortable plastic chair became his temporary home as he watched you for hours upon hours, his eyes fixating one every last detail. 

He blamed himself. 

He was the last person to see and talk to you, and he let his emotions distract him. He allowed them to make him doubt himself, to doubt himself and you.

He gingerly tapped his index finger against the top of the cotton comforter, his nose now used to the smell of disinfectant.

The thought of going home never crossed Reid's mind. There was no way he would willingly leave, he was too afraid that you'd wake up while he was gone.

He absolutely hated the fact that he was utterly useless in this situation, having no real purpose except to act as a cheerleader, blindly supporting you from the sidelines.

He slowly gripped your hand, his faint green-ish veins brushing up against your fingers.

In a not-so-shocking turn of events, the team was abruptly called out for a child abduction case last minute, boarding the jet no more than 24 hours after they had left the hospital.

It was safe to say they were unquestionably exhausted.

And while they resented leaving you in such a vulnerable state, there wasn't much they could do.

They didn't work as quickly as they usually did, but there was an unspoken rule to not question his absence. They all understood his compelling reason to stay. They knew he needed to be there for you, especially when they couldn't.

Garcia however, never failed to visit each day. She brought an overwhelmingly positive vibe, something Spencer frantically needed.

She had decorated the insipid room with charming 'get-well' balloons, an collection of flowers, and even some scented candles that you mentioned you enjoyed long ago.

She also always brought a coffee for Spencer, saving him from consuming another shitty cup of liquid cardboard. She carried an additional 5 sugar packets in her purse, just in case the other 4 weren't enough.

It was around 9:40 pm when Garcia pulled into the parking lot of the building, her tires slightly scraping against the hard asphalt.

The BAU had just arrived back home, JJ being the only one with enough energy to accompany Garcia.

The drive to the Baltimore hospital was filled with drowsy banter, laced with a thin sheet of concern. It was a common understanding that each team member wasn't overjoyed when entering a hospital, every one of them having their own set personal of memories they'd like to overlook.

The atmosphere changed when they approached the building, both exchanging slightly uneasy glances before sucking in a deep breath of night air.

Their heels simultaneously clacked against the marble floor, entering the elevator and impatiently waiting for it to arrive at their designated level.