Chapter 7

VII

The Present

Roberto and Marci Strathem had felt the decision to come to New Caprica was a no-brainer. After Baltar's election to the Presidency-both of them having voted for the enigmatic doctor and scientist, and being bone-weary of being stuck with their two children, Caleb and Marissa, aboard the Tauranian Traveller after the attack on home world of Tauron.

Life wasn't easy for them on New Caprica, but they both felt that having dirt under their feet, instead of running in space, was a better way to try and raise their children. The Cylons had ended that early contentment. At almost the same time, a strain of pneumonia had swept through New Caprica, and had killed more than five hundred people. The Strathem's had escaped unscathed from that horror.

Marci worked as a lab technician for Doc Cottle, even though there wasn't much in the way of equipment to run a proper lab. Roberto was a civilian mechanic, who was very skilled at fixing and keeping engines of all types in good working order. Even though the civilian fleet parked in and around New Caprica never went anywhere, The Cylons did test their systems to make sure they worked if they ever wanted to use the ships.

Their children for thirteen and eleven, respectively, beginning that restless stage of the advancing teenage years, both their son and daughter wanting to be Viper Pilots, which worried their parents to no end. They were good students, and loved their teachers, often staying after classes to help former President Roslin grade papers for her younger students.

This morning, Caleb woke up feeling like he had been up all night playing Pyramid against the C-Bucks, his favorite team before the war. He had a terrible headache, no energy, and a moderately high fever. Roberto hadn't left for work yet, and one look at the boy, and he knew there wouldn't be school for him that day. He allowed Caleb to sleep in a little late, walking over to the school buildings to inform Roslin, who was also the Principal, of his son's absence for that day.

After that errand, he walked his son over to Doc Cottle's set of tents, to get his son looked after. His mom was already at work-when she didn't have to draw blood, or do any sampling, she would assist Cottle, Ishay, and the other medical pro's with whatever they needed. She had learned a lot more about medicine since arriving on the planet, than she ever thought she was capable of.

Arriving at the medical clinic, the first person they saw was Nurse Layne Ishay.

"Roberto", she smiled at them, "Caleb, what are you two gentlemen doing here today?"

"How are you, Ishay?" Roberto gave the familiar woman a slight bow. "Caleb woke up feeling pretty lousy this morning. I just wanted to get him checked out."

"You let Roslin know he won't be in?" She gave a disarming grin. "You know how she hates the kids missing their studies."

"Yeah, I already talked to her. She's good about it."

Ishay waved them both into another room. "Fortunately, it isn't too busy this morning, so Doc Cottle should be able to see you in a manner of minutes. I'll let your mom draw the blood, and you'll have to pee in a cup for her, Caleb."

The thirteen year old just rolled his eyes. "Great, just what I've always wanted to do-pee for mom." He did give a sly grin at the end. Both the adults laughed.

"Haha, young man", Ishay said with a continuing giggle. "Get your behind in there, and let your mom do her work."

Caleb did as he was asked without further complaint, went and saw his mom, who got the samples ready for Doc Cottle to look at.

It was about an hour before Marci had the lab samples prepped for Cottle, which ended her work on her son's care, at least as far as professionally. She would have the honor of taking care of him later at home.