The First Hunt

“Scarlett! Can you come down for a minute? I have great news for you!” My mom yelled from downstairs. I went downstairs with my box of things. I was moving out for college in a couple of weeks.

“What is it mom?” I asked.

“I received a letter. It says that Eulogia University offered you a scholarship. But with one Hundred percent discount.” My mom happily told me as she showed me the letter she was talking about.

“Mom. We've talked about this. I'm not going to Eulogia or at Greenland or any other school. I want to study at Westford.” I told her a hundred times now.

“I know that honey but Eulogia is a school where students like you go. I mean... You're smart. And—”

“Mom. I know. Thank you but, I promised dad I'd go to the same college he went to. if he's still alive, mom, he'd be very proud.” I told her.

“But honey, you can't let this opportunity pa—”

“Mom... I'm going to Westford. PERIOD. End of discussion.” I said.

My mom sighed in defeat.

“Fine. Since this is the third time you've rejected offers from prestigious schools, I'll stop. Just do your best.” She said.

“Thanks mom. I'll go upstairs and continue packing. And mom, Lexi and I will share an apartment or something. We're going to the same college.” I informed.

“That's great Scarlett...” She suddenly said with a hint of fear and worry.

“What's wrong?” I asked.

“It's just that I'm worried for you and your best friend Lexi. Do you know the mysterious accidents that are on the news lately? It's in that town. And I'm worried you'll get in trouble. Both of you.” She said.

“Mom, you're really believing the news?” I unbelievably asked her.

“They're just making those up so that they can report something to everyone. None of those are true, mom. It's probably just animal attacks. They're making a big deal of something that isn't supposed to be a big deal.” I told her.

“And besides, none of those are true. They don't exist. They never did.” I said.

“Alright honey. Go and finish packing.” She said. I nodded and went upstairs to my room.

I cant believe mom is believing those things. Vampires only exist in movies and books. Oh how I hate Vampires. They're all dazzling but they're a monster inside. At least that's how they describe it in Twilight and The Vampire diaries.

Classes were just one day away after a couple weeks had passed. Summer whizzed by so quickly. The first day of class begins tomorrow. Today, Lexi and I are moving into our apartment.

“Scarlett! Lexi's here! Hurry up!” My brother Tyler yelled from downstairs.

“I'm coming.” I went downstairs with all of my things, which were so heavy. Lexi was sitting on the couch waiting for me. She stood up as soon as she saw me.

“You took so long to get ready. Let's go.” I agreed and nodded at her.

“Goodbye sis, finally.” Tyler said teasingly, the last word coming out more of a whisper. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

“Bye mom. I'll visit you once every two weeks.” I told her.

“Bye you two. Be careful.” She said before we walked our way to the bus port, both complaining how heavy our things are.

“Guys! Wait for me!” A familiar voice yelled. We both looked to our right and saw Violet running towards us with her bag of things just like us.

“Vi!” I happily exclaimed.