The Fifth Hunt

When I woke up, Chris wasn't beside me anymore. I went out of his room. My wound still hurts when I walk, but it was bearable.

"Glad you're awake." Edrick was in the living room, holding champagne in his hand.
"How's your wound?" he asked.
"It's fine. Where's Chris?"
"No idea. I didn't see him when I woke up."

"I saw Chris earlier in the morning. Where's he going?" Sam entered the living room as casually as ever.

"We don't know." Edrick said. I sat on the couch beside him.
"Well, did you know about the vampire last night?" I asked both of them.
"What vampire?" they both asked. I guess they don't.

"The vampire who broke into his room where I was. Did he not tell you?"
"What? No, he didn't." Sam's voice unconsciously got louder after what he heard.

"Someone got inside?" Edrick asked again with an alarming voice, as if he were making sure he heard it right.

"Yeah. He was in Chris' room where I was."
"He must know something. He can't coincidentally go to Chris' room, and you happened to be there."
"I don't know. Thankfully, Chris arrived on time before the vampire could even do anything to me. But he suddenly disappeared," I said.

"So Chris knows about this?" Edrick asked. I nodded. They both looked at each other.

"Then he's on the hunt," he said.

"I'm sorry, what? Hunt?" I asked, confused.
"He's doing it again," Sam said, as if he hadn't heard me.

"What are you talking about? What hunt?" I asked again.
"He's hunting down the vampire that was here last night alone. Again," Edrick explained to me.

"And why are you worried? Is that a good thing?... or a bad thing?"
"Both. There are vampires who are special."

"What do you mean by special?" I asked Sam.
"Some vampires are gifted with extra abilities. Chris and Sam are one of them." Edrick answered instead because Sam was too busy calling Chris.
"Sam is called a Myad, and Chris is a Byad," he continued.

"What's the difference?" I asked.
"A Myad only has one extra ability, while a Byad has two," he said.
"If that vampire is a Byad and has a strong ability, Chris might not be able to take him down by himself."

"What ability does Sam possess?"

"Speed. I can outrun any average vampire without breaking a single sweat," Sam said.

Curiosity piqued, and I turned to Edrick. "How about Chris?"

"He's a remarkable tracker. He can track anyone by following their scent. And he has strength too. He's basically stronger than us even though he's younger," Edrick said.

"Chris won't pick up any of my calls. At this point, Chris should have already found the vampire you're talking about. And he always takes it in the same place. Here's the plan. Con, you stay here with Scarlett. I'll go to Chris." Then Sam disappeared into thin dust. I looked at Edrick.

"Con? Where did that come from?" I asked.
"I told him not to call me that," he muttered.

"Con... like a con man or something?" I asked as I laughed.
"It's my second name," he said.
"Edrick Con Vonstein..." I said. He rolled his eyes.
"Our parents are bad at naming, as you can tell."
"I never said it was a bad name," I pointed out, laughing.

"Anyways," he said.
"We need to go to your apartment and get your clothes since you'll be staying here. And tell your friend to move to a new house or apartment."
"What?! Why?"
"She isn't safe there. Your scent is all over that apartment, and I'm not sure who else has gone and invited themselves inside." he said.
"Let me just pack my things. I need to return these books, and then we'll go to our apartment." I told him. I took the books that were scattered on the floor last night and put them inside a paper bag. I took it, and we both went to the book café. Clark was still there.