Flatline/Promise/Family Reunion

Jade's P.O.V.

   I had no idea how many hours passed by with me just holding Erin, doing my best to keep an eye on her heart rate and breathing as she slept, scared to fucking death that she was going to leave me. The thought of her ceasing to exist in my life or the world itself was so painful that it actually caused a few hot tears to slide down my face, but I wiped them away with one shaking hand, not wanting them to fall on her and wake her up, her guaranteed worry for me probably not a good thing at the moment. I did my best to stay awake, but I couldn't, all the crying I'd been doing making me too damn tired to function properly, let alone stay awake all night, and before I knew it, I was out cold, dark, twisting nightmares crawling through my mind. I guess the nurses must've come in and checked on Erin a few times, but they didn't bother waking me up, letting me stay exactly where I was, probably knowing that taking me away from her was a fucking bad idea in her current state, and I only opened my eyes, as I heard a familiar alarm going off near my head.

      I can't even tell you how quickly I woke up, as I heard that sound, fear and sadness flooding through my entire body, as nurses raced into the room. I was barely able to make out one of them telling me,"Miss, you have to let go of her" through the pounding worry clawing in my mind. No fucking way- No- It couldn't be happening, but there was no way I was asleep anymore, as I sat down in the chair, watching in shock, as Erin flatlined, cold terror gripping my heart. The girl I loved was dead, and that was as far as I could get my brain to go with understanding what was going on, not even able to process that the nurses were doing their best to bring her back. All I could see was Erin's cold, still body on the bed, like some fucking thing out of a nightmare, and I knew I would never ever get that image out of my brain for as long as I lived, my body shaking violently, and I realised that the strange choking and whimpering sounds of anguish I heard were ripping their way out of my chest, my heart almost breaking into a million pieces. If she was gone, then what did I have left? She was the one thing I had found that could make me feel something real, the one person who could make me act like a human being with a soul, and I loved her with everything I had.

      Those were the panicked thoughts running through my mind, the sound of them in my head drowning out nearly everything else, until a voice weakly whispered,"Jade.." That sound sliced through my pain easily, causing my head to snap up so fast that I almost got whiplash, and the familiar sound of the heart machine beeping with a heartbeat almost had me pass out with relief. I saw those familiar icy eyes watching me with worry, which was fucking ironic, considering Erin was the one who had died for a minute, but understood why, as I heard the relieved sobs I was making, and tried to calm down, not wanting to trigger her into dying again. I heard her let out a harsh breath of air, as I shot up out of the chair, and practically jumped on top of her on the bed, squishing her a bit, as my arms wrapped around her, my head on her chest, and I closed my eyes, listening to her heartbeat, which was surprisingly strong for it having stopped.

     I could feel myself still shaking violently, but calmed down, as cold fingers brushed my tears away gently, and Erin whispered,"Shh, babe.. I'm okay now, I promise." It was ridiculous for her to be reassuring me in the condition she was in, given I was supposed to be comforting her, and yet, since she'd been brought to the hospital, she was the one doing all the comforting. "I'm sorry. I just- I can't lose you, Erin. I can't. I thought about it all night until I fell asleep, and you're the one I want and need. You're the only one who can make me feel like I'm not just a heartless bitch.. You make me want to care, and to be a better person. If I lost you-" I burst into more tears, and heard her sigh, then went quiet, as her hand grabbed my face, turning it, and her lips met mine with a burning passion, fiery heat searing through my body at the feeling. I kissed her back, moaning quietly, as I felt her tongue slide inside my mouth, wrapping around mine with a vengeance, then breathed hard, my heart racing against my ribs, as she pulled away. "What was that for?" She smiled that adorable smile that took my breath away, and shrugged. "I thought it would help you stop crying.. Looks like it worked. And for the record, I'm an annoying pain in the ass, so you won't get rid of me that easily, West."

               Erin's P.O.V.

      I felt my heart skip a beat as Jade laughed, that sound making me happier than anyone could know, and smiled, holding her close in my arms, not ever wanting to let go. I went quiet for awhile, then quietly asked,"You're not gonna leave me, right?" She frowned, and gave me that iconic Jade West glare, before replying,"Don't be an idiot.. Of course I'm not gonna leave you. I almost lost you, and I love you. Why would I leave you?" I swallowed hard, and looked away, tears in my eyes, and heard her sigh quietly, before she whispered,"Babe?" I turned my head back to face her, and shrugged, before sadly replying,"Because this is too good to be true, and because everyone always leaves me in the end. You're the one person I want to stay the most.." Her eyes filled with tears, and she shook her head. "You're everything I've always needed, Erin. I can't leave you.. And I'll protect you, just like you protected me. I swear-" A nurse walked in, rudely interrupting, and didn't seem all that surprised to see us in the position we were in, merely telling Jade,"I'm afraid it's her family's turn to visit now, honey. You can come back tomorrow, or wait until she's released in two days.." I felt my heart sink, and sighed, but knew it was the hospital rules.

     Jade gave the nurse a dirty look, then softly kissed me, and got off the bed. "I have to go to school tomorrow, but I'll be here to pick you up on Tuesday, and I don't care if I miss class or not. We're going to have that date I promised you, and I know you'll love it.. Just rest, okay?" I nodded, my heart aching, and watched her walk out of the room, then felt the color drain out of my face, as Tori walked in with not only Trina, but both her parents.. And mine. Tori shot me a worried and apologetic glance, and I sank down in the bed, as my mother glared at me. "This is what happens when you hang around those bad people, Erin! You ran away from home, and now you're spending time with that Jade West girl! You got what you deserved, I think.." I flinched, my blood boiling, but stayed silent, knowing anything I said would get me into further trouble. My father was red as a tomato, clearly furious, and I swallowed hard, as he shouted,"Just you wait until you get home on Tuesday, young lady! This is not the behavior we expect from you, and I will not tolerate you acting this irresponsible!" Trina smirked, and whispered,"You're gonna get it good, bitch", and Tori elbowed her in the ribs pretty hard, anger on her face.

    My parents stormed out of the room with Trina, Tori's parents on their heels, shooting me apologetic yet judgemental looks, leaving me alone with my cousin. Tori sighed, and sat down on the bed beside me, gently holding my hand, as I started shaking with fear. "I'm so sorry, Erin.. The hospital called them, and I tried to tell them that you weren't actually in here, but Trina called the front desk, and after that, my parents and yours got really mad and came here. Um- So, I saw that Jade was still here. Did she stay all night?" I nodded, and sighed, wiping away my angry tears with one hand. "She's kind of my girlfriend now.." Tori's eyes widened at that, and she smiled. "Awe, I'm happy for you guys! Maybe now, she'll actually smile for a change." Her smile faded, as her parents told her it was time to go, and she sighed, standing up. "I'm glad you're okay- Well, alive, I mean." I sighed, and told her,"You have to tell Jade that my family is taking me home on Tuesday- She's supposed to come pick me up and take me on a surprise date. I don't want her anywhere near those assholes.." She nodded, and waved sadly, as she left the room, leaving me all alone with my thoughts. After a few minutes of dead silence, I whispered,"Well, that was a pleasant family reunion.. I'm so fucked.."