Aftermath

Klaus's POV

I slowly opened the door to the orphanage and dragged myself up the steps to the bedrooms above. Margarethe sitting on my bed waiting for me. I flopped onto the bed. 

"What happened?" She asked as she began to unbutton the back of my shirt to heal the wounds from the bandages I used to make my chest flatter and to look more like a boy but I pulled the bandages so tight that they were cutting into my skin and leaving bruises. 

"Hans found out." I sighed as I buried my face in the sheets. I winced as she dabbed some alcohol on my wounds. 

"How?" She asked as she held me down from struggling from the stinging of the alcohol in my cuts. 

"That jerk from the gang that runs the streets said my birth name." I sigh and she stopped and I could feel her tense up. 

"Oh him. Want me to beat him up for ya?" She said as she raised both of her fist. "I'm sure he would just love to meet my fist." She grinned and I burst out into laughter. She started to laugh too. 

"No, I'm good but thanks anyway." I said as I sat up. She patted me on the back. 

"I'm sure Hans will come around soon. You two were really close." She said and I looked at the ground. "Remember it took me some times to understand too you know." She smiled trying to cheer me up. 

"I've known since you we were both babies, it's different." I sighed and she did too. We sat in silence for a while. 

"I just know he'll be back. Trust me, Klaus." 

"You know I always do but... Oh I don't know." 

"Hey! On a happier note, I got you something!" She said excited as she rummaged through her bag. She pulled out a small note with writing on it. "I stole this from the records office. It was left with you at the door." She grinned as I grabbed it from her. I didn't know if I should be angry or grateful. I just stared at it then threw it to the floor. Margarethe looked confused. 

"I don't want to know anything about my parents. My mom died in a fire and my dad abandoned me. I have a new family here." I smiled at her and she grinned back. Margarethe would always have my back no matter what and that was all I needed.